PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

John LaGrone-Hall of Fame

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

John LaGrone-Hall of Fame

Postby AusTxPony » Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:24 pm

Found this on the Dave Campbell-Texas Football Website...the great John LaGrone is being inducted to the Texas High School Hall of Fame. I played with him. What a great Mustang he was and is.

John LaGrone
Borger High School 1960-1962
Ht. 5'10 1/2" Wt. 190 lb. Position - Defensive Tackle, Left Tackle
Coach - Gene Mayfield
LaGrone was a two-time all-state defensive tackle and left tackle for the Borger Bulldogs. He led Borger to a 31-5 record during his three varsity seasons including three district championships and a birth in the 1962 4A state championship game. In the title game Borger was nipped by San Antonio Brackenridge 30-26. He was selected to play in the 1963 THSCA All-Star Game and earned Most Valuable Lineman honors. LaGrone continued his career at SMU where he earned All-SWC honors three times from 1964-1966. The Mustangs won the 1966 SWC championship and earned a trip to the Cotton Bowl. His senior season he became the first player in SMU history to make the All-America (consensus) and Academic All-America Teams in the same year. LaGrone played in the Canadian Football League from 1967-1974 with the Edmonton Eskimos and was the CFL's Most Outstanding Lineman in 1969. In 1970 he was selected to Texas Football Magazine's Schoolboy All-Decade Team and SWC Defensive Team for the 1960's. He was also selected as a member of the Edmonton Eskimo Wall of Fame in 1988. He is currently a District Judge in Hutchinson County, Texas.
Below is the Class of 2003:

Tommie Vaughn - Brownwood High School - Pre 1940's
Ken Konz - Weimer High School - 1940's
Jerry Hopkins - Mart High School - 1950's
John LaGrone - Borger High School 1960's
Mike Singletary - Houston Worthing High School - 1970's
Britt Hager - Odessa Permian High School - 1980's
Jerod Douglas - Converse Judson High School - 1990's
Ronny Flowers - Special Category
D.W. Rutledge, Converse Judson - Coach
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Re: John LaGrone-Hall of Fame

Postby Lotus » Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:33 pm

Congratulations to another great Mustang!
SMU! SMU! SMU!
Lotus
All-American

Re: John LaGrone-Hall of Fame

Postby No Quarter » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:13 pm

There was that great picture of LaGrone on the cover of Texas football, I guess his senior year at SMU. He loooked more like a ball player than anyone I've ever seen! I think the honor well deserved.
No Quarter
Heisman

Return to Football