PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Secondary

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Secondary

Postby SMUFan » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:05 am

I couldn't make the scrimmage Saturday. How did Ruben Moodley look at cornerback? How did the safeties look? Will we have better pass defense this year?
SMUFan
All-American

Re: Secondary

Postby Nacho » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:13 pm

The secondary is not ready for prime time. Rushbrook beat Humphrey twice on deep throws, although he was called for a questionable pass interference on the second one. I have no idea how Moodley did. Nnabuife got beat by Francis on a slant for a TD of about 20 yards. One of the freshman DBs may get pt if things don't get better in a hurry.

We are in deep trouble at DT if Adami has a serious injury. Keep your fingers crossed.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby fbdad » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:23 pm

Moodleys play mirrored his performances of last year.He stays with his man but lets way to many completions take place. I don't know why he won't go for the ball instead of allowing substantial completions for gain.I don't know why he got the starting position over Rutledge?? Humphrey also played as he did last year. He's got great speed but falls short when its time to compete for the ball.You need beef to go up against people like Rushbrook who's built like a tank...Rico at SS also looked like last year,not as fast to the ball as he should be.Godfrey,as backup,showed more aggresive play including at least four tough tackles a pass breakup and a fumble recovery. Nnbuife played well except for giving up the one TD.Harper,as backup, also played as he did last year,not well..
fbdad
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:13 pm

That's why I don't think we should be so hasty to anoint Bartel as the second coming.

Sorry I didn't make the scrimmage, but did Moodley start? I thought he was backing up Humphrey. Shouldn't it have been Rutledge and Humphrey starting?

Godfrey has been getting a lot of good press lately. Sounds like he had an excellent offseason.

Good to hear that Nnabuife looked good. Last year must have been... well, unimaginable for him. Has Nnabuife leapfrogged Harper at Free Safety?

We need to cut Harper some slack though. Tough spot for a true freshman to come in and play last year.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby ClassOf81 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:29 pm

If it's tough for a freshman safety like Harper last year, imagine how tough it is to be a freshman corner who's generously listed at 5-8 (Humphrey). Each had his ups and downs last year, as should be expected from freshmen. And I disagree that Harper didn't play well Saturday. With the exception of the one pass that he just missed, he looked pretty good, especially coming up to the line in run support. And he's fast for a safety -- which always helps.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:17 pm

Is Gilmore participating in contact this spring? Did he see any time in the scrimmage?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:18 pm

I'm surprised at the complete lack of talent at the safety position and height at the CB position...I'm surprised because the secondary is what Bennett took pride in at K-State. It's going to be a couple more years I'm afraid before we can really load up those positions. If Ruben, Rico, and Boof keep playing as if their jobs aren't in jeopardy, we're going to see just as many big plays given up next year as well. These guys aren't that good, period. Where is Gilmore? Hopefully, one of the freshmen shines in two-a-days...? Sturdivant perhaps? Let's take this secondary for what it is...a serious problem.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:06 am

Gilmore got on the field, but didn't play much. I don't remember a ball being thrown in the direction of his man.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby roddog » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:09 pm

boy secondary is one thing you guys better get b/f going up to lubbock,,,,,,see ut's defense
roddog

Return to Football