PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is SMU Still Opposed to WAC Expansion?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Is SMU Still Opposed to WAC Expansion?

Postby SMUstang » Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:41 pm

I for one think it would be good for the conference to expand to 12. Is SMU still opposed to it? Why?
SMUstang
Heisman

Re: Is SMU Still Opposed to WAC Expansion?

Postby EastStang » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:50 pm

Who would be involved in that expansion? At the end of 2005 a lot of changes will occur due to the butts in seats rule and shuffling around of conferences. So, the WAC as we know it now will probably not exist after 2005. Our goal right now is to be as sexy a school as possible when the changes occur. This time I'd hope we would be courted rather than be an afterthought.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:06 pm

My thoughts are USU and UNT would be the best candidates for expansion. I don't look for a major reshuffling of all of the non-BCS conferences as many do. I would like to see the southern C-USA schools joining the eastern WAC schools but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. I don't see many changes in the WAC. We might lose SJSU to the new attendance standards ( but way down the road). And we might lose BSU to the MWC. That's about all.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:42 pm

Tough call on who would be the best 2 programs if the WAC was to expand to 12 teams. Clearly USU in the west, as they have competitive football and good hoops. UNT has a much improved football program, but hoops is still pretty sorry. La-Laf has better hoops and better fan support and it will be interesting to see if Ricky Bustle can turn their football program around.

WAC expansion would be more about curtailing travel in such a far flung conference than improving the conference RPI by adding stronger programs. If the WAC wants to survive, I still think 14 teams is a better number because it limits the long distance travel.

As for the CUSA south and WAC east teams getting together...who knows what the next round of musical chairs might bring. CUSA plays good football for a mid-major, but it was still born as a hoops conference and the Marquettes and DePauls of the world don't like the football influence that has brought ECU & TCU into the league and watered down their hoops RPI.

As for the MWC expanding by inviting Boise some day, I suppose that's possible, but I've always thought UTEP was a better choice. UTEP has pretty good fan support and just might help the MWC land the Sun Bowl as the host school some day. UTEP also has a history with most of the current MWC schools, but they need to improve the product they are putting on the field/court before they will look attractive to anyone.
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:37 am

The only way the MWC expands is if they lose schools. Wyoming could be a 1-A casualty. BYU, AFA, and CSU have been mentioned as teams who might defect to BCS heights. If that happens the MWC may not exist in four years. If that happens and the WAC already expanded to 12, you might be expanding your conference out of some good teams who bring major plusses. I'd rather have Utah or UNLV than USU. I'd rather have NM over UNT. If you get larger than 14 teams, my guess is that the conference would divide. The main issue right now is no eastern bowl tie-in.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Return to Football