PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Red/Blue

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Red/Blue

Postby Buddha » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:19 pm

Some thoughts:

Richard Bartel looked great. He looked so comfortable and poised, and throwing is absolutely effortless for the guy. He's evidence that there's truth to the idea that some people learn to throw, while others (like Bartel) are born with a great arm.

Offensive line looked better than last week. Significantly.

Trey Griffin will have a big year. Last year there were times when he looked like a track star in a helmet and pads. Yesterday he looked like a receiver who happens to be really fast. He blew past DBs and made several receptions, including at least two where he had to adjust to the ball in mid-flight and still came up with the grab. He also fought through some fairly physical coverage on a couple of occasions. Bold prediction: Griffin will catch 6-8 touchdowns this year.

Griffin and Daniel Francis returned punts yesterday, and dropped only one (they weren't returning them, just making the catch -- maybe because of what happened to Comet last year?) They both showed good hands and seemed to "read" the punts well .... one drop between the two.

Darrin Johnson looked awesome at DT. He had one sack and clogged the middle pretty well against the run. He's got to get stronger, but he looks like a player.

Allan Adami moved around pretty well on that ankle he sprained last week.

Tate Wallis looked pretty good, but he had a few of his old side-arm throws. Overall, he looked better than he did last year, though.

SMU has a nice pair of running backs in Keylon Kincade and Johnnie Fitzgerald. Both were effective with hard inside running, and each of them kicked it outside a couple of times for longer gains. Very nice 1-2 punch.

D.D. Lee looks like a bigger and faster version of Vic Viloria. If he plays as hard as Vic did, look out.

Moodley looked more natural at CB than he ever did at safety, which is strange since he played safety his junior and senior years and part of his freshman year. He looked much more comfortable at cornerback.

[This message has been edited by Buddha (edited 04-13-2003).]
Buddha
All-American

Re: Red/Blue

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:33 pm

Buddha: Sorry, but I just HAD to laugh at the typo in the narrative about Trey Griffin.

"He also fought through some fairy physical coverage on a couple of occasions."

Did we start recruiting from the Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs area? LOL

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Buddha » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:38 pm

Oops! Thanks for catching that. Corrected now.
Buddha
All-American

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:23 am

Lmao

------------------
The Red And Blue Is Back! Let the Pony Pride Ride On The Hilltop!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Stallion » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:44 am

quite frankly I'd be surprised if Trey Griffin even starts. To me it seems pretty likely that the starters will be Chris Cunningham, Daniel Francis and Matt Rushbrook who probably was the most outstanding player of the spring despite learning a new position.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:58 am

Comet is the favorite of a lot of PonyFans, but remember, he's never played in a game for Coach Bennett. At the moment, I get the sense that they're counting anything he does as a bonus. Everyone hopes he comes back and has a sensational senior year, of course, but he's still in the healing process. Like the rest of you, I hope he has a brilliant year. But I don't know how much the coaches are counting on, because of his injury, and I'd be surprised if he starts, at least at the beginning of the year.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby Joyous » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:50 pm

To GrapevineMustang
You want to have a "friendly wager" here? I guarantee you Comet will be back - better than ever if possible. Have any money you want to lose??? I'm game.
And #2 - if you think Coach B is not counting on his coming back strong as ever you better go do some homework.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:10 pm

No, I don't make bets -- especially those I hope to lose! As I mentioned in another thread, I was walking on the field after the game and happened to walk by when Coach Bennett was being interviewed, and I heard him refer to Comet as "the wild card" in the offense. He said it while he was talking up his young guys, which any coach will do in the spring. I didn't mean to sound earlier like they're not counting on Comet, and as tough as he's been through his career, I'm definitely not betting against him. Coach made a comment in February around signing day - something about how as excited as he is about the new crop of players he signed this year, he feels like Comet is a "bonus" for the recruiting class (maybe that's where I got the word), because he'd never gotten a chance to coach him in a game. He sang Comet's praises then, as we have since Comet got here. Sorry if I stepped on any toes -- certainly didn't mean it to come out that way. Believe me, I'm as eager to see ol' #21 out there as anyone.

I gather by your response that his rehab is going well?
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby Joyous » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:28 pm

Hey Grapevine Mustang, it was all just fun talk. I did not get offended. Rehab is going fine and hope to meet you come Fall. Take care.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:37 pm

Well, I didn't think you were too upset. But when I read over my previous post, I saw how it could have been misinterpreted.
Would love to meet you in the fall. Best to you and your family.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Return to Football