PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fun @ Red/Blue

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fun @ Red/Blue

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:42 am

Some thoughts from Sat:
Met Joyous- Delightful
Met Comet & Comet, Jr.- Adorable
Bartel- Accurate, had several drops
Tate- Great guy, good game, they dropped some beauties
Rushbrook- Doesn't miss
Griffith- Looking good
Adami- What ankle? what heart! great folks.
Francis- Oops, bad day...great fall?
Mentzel- How high does that ball go?
McMurtry- Not bad
Blue Linebackers- Ouch, that hurt! Great hits!
Justin Rodgers- 100%er
Jonas- Breezin'
Kincade- Tough guy
Fitzgerald- Nice surprise
Personally didn't get much feel for linemen on either side of ball, but Blue much better in most spots. Talked with incoming frosh Zac Hall...a gung ho! Mustang and his girl/family. And Desmond Jones and mom/friends. Overheard them talking, they both think they will play next year.
Seemed to be good crowd.
What happened to small band there at the beginning of game?
Anyone know how many recruits? Seemed to be 30 or so.
Great time! Over and Out. ATP.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Re: Fun @ Red/Blue

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:57 am

Word I heard about the band was that it was a small core of Mustang Band members who got together. However, since the 'game' was not really a 'game' but more of a 'learning' exercise, it was decided that the band would not play so as not to interfere.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:45 am

Thats crap!! I love our band!

------------------
The Red And Blue Is Back! Let the Pony Pride Ride On The Hilltop!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:53 am

Good point, AusTxPony - Ryan Mentzel looked like Ray Guy out there. I can't remember seeing a college punter hit bombs like his first 6 or so. (He shanked a couple of late ones, but overall, he was sensational.)

I went on the field after the scrimmage, and while I was trying to help my son get some players' autographs, I overhead Coach Bennett being interviewed by a few reporters. He said something about his best move this spring being his move of Ruben Moodley to corner, and that Moodley actually came out of spring ball ahead of Jonas Rutledge. Is that true? We'll face a bunch of teams with 3-WR sets, of course, so Moodley, Rutledge and Humphrey all will have to play. I just can't imagine he caught and passed Rutledge, an all-WAC corner. I hope he'll be good, of course, but Jonas is still Jonas.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby cowboypony » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:30 am

As a footnote to the game itself, I was extremely impressed with the way the players presented themselves to the fans after the game was over. I had my son and one of his friends who went on a autograph seeking spree. Every single player they encountered thanked us for coming out and were very talkative and engaging. They answered every question with "Yes sir." While I'm sure the coaching staff emphasized this, I'm still very impressed with these young men.

Also, they looked pretty good as football players.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Joyous » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:37 pm

Same here AusTxPony - great meeting you. Only saw a few PonyFans. Someone had posted about the band, but I was told they were alumni. Anyway, I was sitting close to them and had a great time while they were there.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby PK » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:24 pm

Sorry I missed seeing you Joyous...I looked in the area you are usually in at regular games. I didn't venture over to the area where the band was. Hope all in your family are doing well these days. See you this fall.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Joyous » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:48 pm

Me too, PK. I hope to be back in my "regular" spot come Fall. We just walked up and sat down. I did look for you though. I will definitely have to get in "Sun" shape because I was wiped out by half-time.
Joyous
Varsity

Return to Football