PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

what 2nd string player should be first?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

what 2nd string player should be first?

Postby ponyjim » Tue Apr 25, 2000 12:47 pm

Any of you think that there's a player that is second in line and derserves to be or is good enough to step up and make the starting lineup? Perhaps Kelan Luker?

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponyjim
Scout Team

Re: what 2nd string player should be first?

Postby Red+BlueDude » Tue Apr 25, 2000 1:05 pm

John Hampton should start at tight end. He's big, strong and makes tough catches in traffic.

With apologies to Chase Schavrda, Warrie Birdwell should start alongside Lute Croy at defensive tackle. Birdwell is taller, heavier, quicker and younger, meaning he has more years to improve. Remember, this guy originally committed to Colorado - he has talent.

Not sure how the depth chart looks at the moment, but it's time to re-vamp the linebacker group. Obviously Viloria is the heart and soul of the group, but he needs to start alongside Corey Riley -- who looked great this spring -- and Devonric Johnson. He's labeled as an inside LB, as is Riley, but both of them hit hard, and Johnson in particular has the speed to play outside and the intellect to shuffle between multiple positions. (Wild card -- two incoming freshmen, Derek Swafford and D.D. Lee, are supposed to be complete studs who could push for early playing time.) Justin Williams is a nice player but small, and Billy Jack Williams can fly, but he's too thin to be an every-down LB. Would look nice coming in off the bench.
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Postby blakep44 » Tue Apr 25, 2000 4:42 pm

I disagree. Chase is a great player and is very quick. He has a lot of experience and knows how to find the ball. He has been moved around a lot, but he needs to be on the field. He is also a leader on that team.
If at first you don't succeed, drink.
blakep44
Scout Team

Postby Grider » Tue Apr 25, 2000 6:55 pm

I agree completely with Blake44. Chase is a veteran player and can make plays...period. There's no one else I would put in front of him on our team. Birdwell will get plenty of PT during the season even as a second stringer. Our d-line does alot of rotation from the bench. We benefit in two major ways: we give our younger talent good experience, and we keep everyone fresh. Birdwell will get his day but we shouldn't consider putting him in front of a healthy #13.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby Red+BlueDude » Tue Apr 25, 2000 7:26 pm

Wow - I stand corrected. Such loyal support .... Chase should hire you guys as his agent!

Just offering an opinion, but I think you've convinced me.
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Postby ponyjim » Tue Apr 25, 2000 10:48 pm

as far as Chase Shavrda is concerned, i just hope he doesn't get injured again. i agree that he is a highly valued player b/c of his leadership and talent on the field, that is, when he is healthy.

i wonder how likely it is that he will reinjure that shoulder of his. if it is likely, and i don't really think it is, then why wouldn't the coaches put a younger, healthier player in his spot so that they wouldn't lose that playing time?

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponyjim
Scout Team

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2000 12:13 am

Chase is indeed a leader and a great athlete. He is one of the few seniors on the team that will be seeing significant playing time, and his wisdom, leadership, and athletic ability will be important assets to this defense. He is a great guy and a hell of a football player, and I will miss watching him play on Saturdays.

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2000 12:18 am

The only thing Chase cannot do is shoot a rifle! (Inside Joke)

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!

Postby graypony » Wed Apr 26, 2000 11:11 am

In regard to Chase, he is a super ballplayer, one of those that you cannot explain by size. In talking to his teammates, I found that he has a lot of respect. Sometimes players have a knack of shedding the block and getting into the backfield; Chase has that.

More importantly is the depth we have at DT. I thought the unnoticed key to the game we had against TCU was their depth in the DL. It was an extremely hot November day. It was more like August. They rotated 8 DL players constantly. I do not think that any DL player played more than 5 plays in a row. (Actually, did anyone on their defense or our offense play more than 5 plays in a row!). They were always fresh.

I saw an article in Sports Illustrated a few years back which showed a statistic that the odds of an offense scoring goes up dramatically, more than you would expect, if they can have at least 5 snaps in a series. They attributed this to fatigue on the defense, especially the DL. If you go to an SEC or Big 12 game, you will see them, constantly, during a defensive series moving DL in and out. Some of this is situational such as getting the better run stopper or pass rusher in, but a lot of it is strictly to prevent fatigue. TCU was able to do this last year and at DT, we should this year with Chase, Lute, Warrie, TChandler, Patman, and if we can ever get him healthy and on the field, one of the strongest and biggest of the bunch, Blagg.

Don't underestimate Chase's experience and ability to get away from the blocker. Our OL will tell you that he may be the toughest to block out of a play. Croy's experience is important, too.

I think that the most important difference in this year's team and last year's will be the depth. That is one of the key essentials that we must have to move up to the next level. I do not think that being a starter is going to be that big of deal in the OL or DL because we will need everybody.

[This message has been edited by graypony (edited 04-26-2000).]
graypony
Junior Varsity

Return to Football