PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Solidfying the offensive line

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Solidfying the offensive line

Postby SMUFan » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:31 pm

After years of question marks, Sterling Harris had a very good spring, in my eyes and supposedly in the eyes of the coaches. He's always had a monstrous frame and all the tools, but this spring he showed more fight and attitude and much-improved mobility. With that in mind, what about the idea of moving him to left tackle? He might go for that, since if he gets a chance to play professionally, there's a lot more money at left tackle. And with a right-handed QB (assuming Chris Phillips doesn't step in and steal the starting job), left tackle becomes the most important spot on the line, especially since many teams have their best pass rusher at right defensive end, across from the offense's left tackle. If he's the best tackle on the team, shouldn't he be the one asked to keep Bartel in one piece?
SMUFan
All-American

Re: Solidfying the offensive line

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:42 pm

Very good idea. Sterling looked a lot quicker this spring than he ever has, and he always had the size. He has extremely long arms and good hands, and if his footwork is improved as much as it appears to be, he should be the left tackle. With the exception of the center's ability to successfully snap the ball to the QB, the left tackle can make or break an offensive line. And since Guidry (who I think should be the other starting tackle) is listed at 6-4, 275, he might be better suited at right tackle anyway, at least until he adds more size and strength.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby PonyTales » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:05 pm

So in that scenario, is this your starting line?

LT: Sterling Harris
LG: Brad Kieschnick
C: Steve Reindl
RG: Townsend Hargis
RT: Eric Neal/Martin Guidry

I guess that's an improvement, if Harris has improved as much as advertised. Bartel needs the best blocker available protecting his blind side.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:50 pm

How does a 5th-year senior suddenly get faster? I know he's lost some baby fat since he got here, but Sterling was never quick. Is he really that quick now? I'd say let him stay at right tackle, where he's comfortable, and let Martin Guidry learn as he goes. And tell Bartel to keep his head on a swivel.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby SHAQFU » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:10 am

I agree with SMUguy here.

To say that Sterling has gotten faster is one thing. To move him to left tackle is a WHOLE other thing.
SHAQFU
Scout Team

Postby GrapevineMustang » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:20 pm

There was some talk on this board that Chris Urbanus had grown to 6-6, 305, and looked like a nice tackle prospect. But then during the spring, he was listed at guard. What happened there? Don't you want tall blockers with the long arms out at the tackle spots?
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby Pegasus » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:35 pm

He was a backup to Sterling Harris at left tackle.
Pegasus
Scout Team

Postby No Quarter » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:26 pm

Before spring practice started, one suggestion which seemed very reasonable after I thought about it, was to move Hargis to LT. I don't remember who would have taken over at guard.

What do those of you who saw the practice think of that position switch? Who would play guard if Hargis moved? And how often did the play at LT actually break down ?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby d_pony » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:30 pm

Peg.- chris urbanus was backing sterling at right tackle -martin guidry was backing up neal at left tackle
d_pony
Varsity

Postby Corso » Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:56 pm

I thought Urbanus had been moved in to left guard (as a reserve) because he didn't have the quickness to play left tackle. Not true?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Return to Football