PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulane

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tulane

Postby EastStang » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:52 am

I noticed on the C-USA board that Tulane is studying whether to drop to 1-AA in football due to budgetary issues. This could be either good or bad for our program. It could open up a slot at C-USA, which we might be interested in, or it could give the members of our faculty an argument for us to follow suit. Never a dull moment.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Tulane

Postby SMUguy » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:09 am

I doubt we'd drop down, given the money spent on the new stadium, Coach Bennett and his staff, the practice fields, the new (maybe?) turf.

So the question becomes whether we'd want to jump to C-USA. We might suffer another lean year or two, but that likely will happen anyway, as the new wave of talent begins to mature. I'd say we should do it, if the opportunity arises. C-USA has a better TV contract and has access to more bowl games. Finances alone merit a move.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:17 am

Don't even dignify that with a response-Tulane is not going to drop to Division 1-AA-If you checked I'd bet you'd find a group of professors trying to redefine 100 years of tradition against the will of the alumni and students.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyte » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:56 am

Seems I remember a few years back another Division IA team looking at dropping down. The Alumni and big money donors put an end to that. I suspect the Tulane alumni and donors will do the same.

The major change, as I recall, was for the faculty and administration to put such unrealistic restraints on the football program as to make it uncompetitive. And then to paint a picture of a building on the floor of the basketball court.

Tulane would do well to clean house after the faculty and/or administration that floated this idea. The other college suffered for years after a similar idea and it took a deadly cancer to rid that college of the problem.
ponyte

Postby EastStang » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:56 pm

I don't disagree with the above posts. It may be alumni blackmail by the Tulane Administration to get them to put up some $$$. There was a fairly long article in the N.O Times-Picayune today.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:24 pm

....perhaps SMU should send a couple of more recruiters into Louisiana this year because this kind of drawn out "study" will erode Tulane's appeal in the state. And Louisiana has a heck of a lot of good football players.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:01 pm

Following up on Stallion's post: A lot of La.'s 'best' end up at McNeese State. The Cowboys are AWESOME for a Div. 1-AA school. If you ever get a chance to see them play, you won't be sorry that you did.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:09 pm

My dad's house is right across Lake Street from McNeese St.

Dump of a school, but a great football program despite their close proximity to the Frosty Factory (drive through daquiris and margaritas).
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Nacho » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:06 pm

It wouldn't surprise me to see Tulane go to d-1aa. They left the SEC voluntarily. Leaving C-USA would fit their pattern. They could then go to d-2 for a few years then d-3 for a few more. After that they could make it a club sport and then drop it and add women's equestrian.
Nacho

Return to Football