PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Garrett

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Garrett

Postby OldPony » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:44 pm

Just saw an interesting synopsis of d-backs. It only listed about 10 but mentioned that KG was worth a look. It said "he had poor technical skills, couldn't tackle but could really run". I hope KG gets a shot but I wondered why he would have poor technical skills.
OldPony
Heisman

Re: Garrett

Postby Otto » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:53 pm

I don't think that's a fair analysis. He doesn't always go up and compete for the ball in the air as well as he could/should, but watch some tapes of him coming up and supporting the run - he'll lay a lick on someone. If he has to go through a grooming process before becoming a regular on defense, I think he could be a star on special teams, as a "flyer/gunner" covering kickoffs and punts.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:18 pm

Sporting News did it's mock draft in last week's issue. They are the only publication I know of that tries to predict every pick in every round, and they deserve some credit for the guts to try that.

However, they have KG as the #16 CORNERBACK in the draft, but then project him in the second round (to Denver). What gives? Not much consistency there...
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:17 pm

Otto- There is a difference in hitting and tackling. I was surprised myself but haven't had the opportunity to watch KG much. Moodley is a good example of someone who gets there but doesn't have a clue how to tackle anyone when he gets there. Is this a common trait in our secondary? Opinions anyone?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony4Life » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:09 pm

I'm not sure Moodley got there that often. As I recall, all too often he mis-read the angle necessary to make a play and then watched a guy race by, and dove to try to make up for it with a shoestring tackle. But the coaches seem confident he'll have a breakout year at CB - let's hope!
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Football