PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

All Time Team

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

All Time Team

Postby Mickey » Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:54 am

I am sure this is partial to the latest years.

WR- Ray Berry, Jerry Levias

OT- Forrest Gregg, Henry Sheppard

OG- Ray Schoenke, Andrew Campbell

C- [deleted] Hightower

TE- Ricky Bolden

QB- Don Meredith

RB- Eric Dickerson, Doak Walker

K- John Stewart

P- Craig James

LS- Dale Hellstrae

PR- Jerry Levias or Doak Walker

KR-Arthur Whittington

DL- Louie Kelcher, Harvey Armstrong, Jerry Ball, Michael Carter

LB- Bill Forester, Gary Moten, Byron Hunt

CB- Johnnie Simmons, Rod Jones

FS- Russell Carter

SS- Wes Hopkins

Coach- Ron Meyer

Someone tell me that we have no tradition!

[This message has been edited by Mickey (edited 04-26-2003).]

Mickey
All-American

Re: All Time Team

Postby Mickey » Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:22 pm

Maybe David Richards should be in there too.
Mickey
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:21 pm

to be fair to the oldtimers you might want to get Robert Popelka, Emanuel Tolbert and John Lagrone in there-all First Team All-Americans. I would switch Russell Carter to CB, take out Rod Jones, Ray Berry and Michael Carter(who were not as dominating in college as their high NFL draft positions and careers would indicate)and replace them with Lagrone, Tolbert and Popelka. Oscar Roan who I believe earned at least some All-American mention should be included at least as a member of the third down two tight end set.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 04-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 04-26-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mickey » Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:25 pm

Stallion,

I put Carter at FS because he played there some in college and in the pros. He also played CB in both leagues. Jones should be at CB because he was a 1st round draft choice.

Who does Popelka replace, Hopkins? No way!

Good point about Berry and Tolbert and LaGrone and Carter.

2 set TE would have Roan, but Bolden is clearly the starter even though he ended up at OT in the pros.

Where do you put David Richards, or does he belong on this team?
Mickey
All-American

Postby PK » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:14 pm

Gerry Mays belongs in there some where.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby No Quarter » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:59 pm

Re Berry's SMU career:

The following story was told to me many years ago by an SMU scholarship athlete, who was not a football player.

Ray Berry's coach, Woody Chalmers I guess he was, did not recognize his abilities, had no use for him. Berry's team mates elected him captain in an attempt to force Chalmers to give him some playing time. Probably quite a big college accolade under the circumstances, even if he was not named to the "all" teams.

And maybe under another coach Berry would have gotten more playing time and the SID would have pushed for his recognition.

I do not mean to defend Chalmers who, IMO, was the wordt coach SMU has had, but it was also a fact there were some other good ends in the same class with Berry.

Maybe someone on this board is in contact with some football players from Berry's era. It would be interesting if this story could be confirmed.

I'm firmly of the opinion Berry belongs on an All-Time SMU team.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:07 pm

Bolden at TE would be a good choice if the all time team never threw the ball. Otherwise, Oscar Roan or Robert Fisher or even Elton Garrett would be better choices.

Carter did dominate as a college player. Nothing went up the middle.

I would consider both Chuck Hixson and Mike Ford for a shot at QB as both lead the nation in total offense at least one year. And we all know it wasn’t because of their running skills.

As to Off gaurd. Jerry Clem would be a consideration as well.

Craig James as punter is not even close. Jerry Norton not only kicked the daylights out of the ball, he also ran it all over the place and did it from just 7 yards back.
ponyte

Postby giacfsp » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:49 pm

Call me a young'un, but somehow I've got to see Chris Bordano in the linebackers section. And because it's Draft Day 2003, KG's GOT to be in there!

How strong would that defensive line be if you could put all four of those out there at the same time. The linebackers would be able to fly to the ball all day long.

Great list Mickey
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Horseradish » Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:08 am

ponyte makes 2 very good points. First, there's a reason why Ricky Bolden became a tackle in the NFL. He was a very good athlete and a devestating blocker as a college Tight End, but he only caught about 10 passes a year. Albert Reese, who followed Bolden, was much closer to to a complete player at tight end. Oscar Roan, should probably be the top choice, if you can only select one.

Second, I cant understand why you would say Carter didnt dominate in college. I cant count how many times he made the center of the other teams line collapse into a knot. You have to remember the goal line stand at TCU in 82 when he shoved the frogs center 3 yards into the backfield to turn a QB sneak into a loss. Carter may not have made that many tackles, but thats because he was double-teamed on almost every play, and teams still didnt wanrt to run at him. I dont think anyone who had try to block Carter would say he was a dominant player.

Did we pick a fullback? Gary Hashaway did a great job at fullback, after Atkins and Dupard pushed him out of the tailback spot. Mark Crites was a tough blocker, but almost never carried the ball. Kind of like tight end, that probably applies to alot of our past fullbaccks.
Horseradish
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:01 pm

Michael Carter was not an All-American in college and was only a one time All-SWC player. He didn't participate in spring drills and his technique was not refined as a football player. SMU's rush defense was not the dominating rush defense in the SWC in his last two years. I can still remember Tech A.J. Hutchison running the ball all over that SMU defense when he ran for over 200 yards. Harvey Armstrong was a much better college defensive lineman. Lagrone on the other hand was a 3 Time All-SWC player and an All-American. Since I saw just about every game in that era I'm able to divorce his reputation in the NFL from his actual performance at SMU. Michael Carter was a very good All-SWC DT but certainly not an immortal at SMU. Raymond Berry belongs on the All-Time SMU team about as much as Lamar Hunt.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 04-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 04-27-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:40 pm

10-4 on the RB/LH comment.
How 'bout [deleted] McKissack?
What about Matty Bell?
He was one of three on the football staff that included Doc Hayes, the basketball coach. Players went both ways.....
Bergermeister

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:41 pm

10-4 on the RB/LH comment.
How 'bout [deleted] McKissack?
What about Matty Bell?
He was one of three on the football staff that included Doc Hayes, the basketball coach. Players went both ways.....
Bergermeister

Postby No Quarter » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:26 am

A few years ago, on this board or the other, a late 40's - early 50's SMU player with the handle, "Rayburn" made a number of interesting posts. Last thing I recall was a message saying he and/or his wife were in poor health. Does anybody know fo cwertain what became of "Rayburn?"
No Quarter
Heisman

Return to Football