PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Draft Day

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Draft Day

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:19 pm

Why is no one talking about the NFL draft today? It's looking like Garrett is destined for the 2nd round. I can't believe Andre Woolfolk went before him.

I would also like to add that Mel Kiper...is a complete moron.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Re: Draft Day

Postby JustAFriend » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:13 pm

Yeah Mel Kiper is an idiot, he hasn't been doing this for 20 years, what would he know?
Please.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby giacfsp » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:42 pm

I would agree that in some cases, Mel Kiper is a moron -- because drafting sometimes can be as inexact as recruiting. (As that new sponsor for this site, Mr. Glazer, said: "Talent evaluation at the NFL level is a mixture of research, statistical analysis, instinct and plain luck." Luck does play a big part, when you consider how many late-round picks become good players, and how many high picks -- Tony Mandarich, Ryan Leaf -- turn into complete busts.) However, in the case of Woolfolk, don't be upset by that. He's a sensational athlete. Maybe half a step slower than KG, but taller and very strong in the air. Having played WR and CB in college, he's very adept at going up and battling for the ball. He's a little raw, but Wollfolk will be a terrific pro.

Would have been nice to see KG go before the UT guys, though: Cory Redding, Derrick Dockery and Chris Simms.

[This message has been edited by giacfsp (edited 04-26-2003).]
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Horseradish » Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UNFMustang06:
<B>Why is no one talking about the NFL draft today? It's looking like Garrett is destined for the 2nd round. I can't believe Andre Woolfolk went before him.

I would also like to add that Mel Kiper...is a complete moron.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Starting to look more like he's destined for the late 5th or maybe 6th rounds. There have been more than 30 DBs taken so far, including 19 corners, and no sign of KG. Looks like some folks seriously miscalculated his draft status.

Also conspicuously missing from the draft so far are names like Lamarcus McDonald and Kliff Kingsbury. Did McDonald leave school early?
Horseradish
Recruit

Postby PerunaPunch » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:11 pm

I think KG was slated to go in the second round... But that was before a crummy senior season and a dismal performance in the senior bowl.

It's mid 5th round now, and Kiper lists him as one of the top 10 recruits still available.

Hopefully, someone will realize his potential and snap him up soon. KG is a smart kid with God-given speed. Everything else can be coached.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby JustAFriend » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:35 pm

Not sure whats up with Kingsbury but I know McDonald's draft stock dropped when he ran slow at the combine and at the individual workouts. I think there was a way that he could have played one more year but the draft analysts said that he would probably go 2nd round so he left. That was before his workouts though.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:36 pm

CRAP! KG went in the 5th round (#172 overall) to St. Louis. What sucks is that the Cowboys took another CB in round 6 at #178. So close to having KG stay in Dallas!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTales » Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:02 pm

Last I saw it was late 6th round, and McDonald still hadn't been taken. Two other froggies, LaTerence Dunbar and Adrian Madise, were picked. I didn't think McDonald would slip this far.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Fresh » Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:42 pm

According to NFL.com, there were five TCU players who were draftable.

WR Adrian Madise went in the fifth round (158 overall) to Denver.

WR LaTerence Dunbar went in the sixth round (196 overall) to Atlanta - which might be a really good fit for him.

CB Jason Goss didn't get drafted.

ILB Lamarcus McDonald didn't get drafted.

DE John Turntine didn't get drafted.

------

This surprised me. I thought McDonald and Turntine, and maybe even Goss, would get picked. And I thought they'd all go before Madise. (Shows what I know, huh?)

I bet McDonald makes a team as a free agent. Dude plays for the enemy, but he just makes plays.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby OldPony » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:35 am

I was not surprised by where KG went. I was hoping for 4th round but scouts were talkng about him being a big gamble with a lack of technique and an inability to tackle. Speed was the one thing that they liked but really nothing more. Now Kg needs to show them that he can be a player.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Football