PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bennett talks about Kevin Garrett on ESPN radio

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bennett talks about Kevin Garrett on ESPN radio

Postby SMUFan » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:14 pm

I took a very late lunch today, and while in the car, Coach Bennett popped on for an interview with Chuck Cooperstein and Newy Scruggs on ESPN103.3 FM.

I don't write fast (sue me), so this isn't verbatim, but basically, here's what Coach Bennett said (after wasting time with a bunch of babble about Terence Newman and Roy Williams, etc.)

"I talked to Kevin earlier today. I was a little surprised he slipped to the fifth round, but I tell you what, St. Louis might be a great fit for him. The way (Rams defensive coordinator) Lovie Smith uses corners, that should be a perfect spot. What's unfortunate for Kevin is that he had four secondary coaches in four years here. And he was hurt this year, too, but he really was in too many schemes, and that probably hurt him in his draft position. But I think he's going to do a great job for that team."

Or something close to that.

Then Coach Bennett started picking on Cooperstein a little, trying to put him on the spot and commit to come to a game in 2003. Newy jumped and joked about how Cooperstein is so big-time now (he does national play-by-play broadcasts for some network.) Cooperstein said that if the network would allow him a free weekend, he'd come to a game. Coach Bennett's comment: "You know if you come to some of our games, we might even win some games on purpose."

Interesting slant.
SMUFan
All-American

Re: Bennett talks about Kevin Garrett on ESPN radio

Postby Silk » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:56 pm

Nothing will change the team's image in the community like winning, we all know that. And I firmly believe Coach Bennett is the man to get us on the winning track. But after winning, the next most important thing is visibility, and he's better about making himself visible in the community than any coach I can remember. I heard that interview yesterday, and he said he was calling in from his son's spring football practice. (In addition to meeting local families, he also is further solidifying his ties with the HP coaching staff.) He knows how to work the system, and has appeared in nearly every media outlet out there. Whether they want to or not, more and more people are aware of the Ponies, thanks in large part to Coach Bennett.

Nice move, publicly challenging Cooperstein to get out to a game. Now he can call him on it next season. Let's remember to hammer Coop with calls in the fall, especially if anyone hears him saying he has a weekend off from his broadcasting duties. Call his show and make him commit to coming out to see the Ponies.
Silk
Varsity

Return to Football