PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PonyFans.com profile: St. Louis CB Kevin Garrett

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

PonyFans.com profile: St. Louis CB Kevin Garrett

Postby PonyPride » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:17 pm

SMU cornerback Kevin Garrett was selected in the fifth round of the NFL Draft by the St. Louis Rams. Garrett will travel this weekend to St. Louis for the team’s first minicamp.

Despite his draft position, Garrett said the Rams are an ideal team with which to begin his NFL career.

“Before the draft, I hadn’t talked to somebody from the Rams, but my agent said they were going to take some corners,” Garrett said of his new employers, who also drafted Nebraska cornerback DeJuan Groce and Notre Dame’s Shane Walton. “They lost a couple of cornerbacks from last year’s team, and Aeneas Williams is at the tail end of his career, so they needed some corners.”

While Williams may be nearing the end of his career, he has been viewed as one of the game’s top corners for more than a decade, and Garrett said he plans to take advantage of Williams’ experience and wisdom.

“I’m looking forward to learning under Aeneas Williams’ tutelage, and going up against Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt in practice,” Garrett said. “I’m going to get up under (Williams) and make him like me, and make him teach me all the tricks of the trade.”

Garrett said that he didn’t watch the Draft, choosing instead to watch movies in his room at his parents’ house in Brazoria, Texas.

“I was watching movies and working on a paper I had to finish for school,” he said. “It got a little frustrating when I didn’t get a call (earlier), but eventually I did, and it was a big relief. I’m really excited to be going to St. Louis.”

Prior to the draft, Garrett had been projected to go as high as the second or third round. While slightly disappointed that he slid to the fifth round, he said he’s pleased with the way things turned out.

“I went a little later than I expected,” he said. “It was a strange draft, and there was a trend early on where teams went after big corners. The draft always seems to have trends, and after big corners, teams turned to other positions, I guess.”

Garrett speculated that he slid to the fifth round because of questions about his height (5-foot-9), and a production level that was affected by a knee injury in his senior season and by the fact that he played for four different secondary coaches while at SMU. Nevertheless, he said he has enjoyed the process of evaluation by the NFL scouts and coaches.

“From day one, the whole draft process was fun,” Garrett said. “This weekend, it got a little anxious, but I know it’s a real blessing to be drafted. When the call came, I talked to some of the St. Louis coaches, and they said how excited they were to have me. After that, I talked to their P.R. people and a bunch of media up there — I was on the phone forever. When that was finally done, I didn’t really go out and celebrate. I stayed home and ate dinner with my family, and we had a brief toast.”

Garrett said that getting drafted lower than he was projected will only serve as motivation for him as he begins his professional career.

“I’m going to go up there and work really hard and prove myself,” he said, “and prove to other teams that didn’t draft me that they made a mistake.”
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: PonyFans.com profile: St. Louis CB Kevin Garrett

Postby giacfsp » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:40 pm

Two things strike me: (1) I like KG's eagerness to show the other teams they messed up by passing him up in the draft. (2) And I like the fact that he's smart enough to attach himself to Aeneas Williams and pick his brain for everything Williams can share. Williams has been to a lot of Pro Bowls, and obviously knows what he's doing. Garrett is very smart to try to learn everything he can from him.

Great stuff!

If only the DMN covered SMU as well as you guys do...
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Roach » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:58 pm

Thanks for keeping us up with Kevin G. Nice story, and he sounds like a sharp guy. Hope he does well in SaintLoo.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby PonyFan » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:48 pm

Good to see KG's excited about getting his career underway. Thanks for the update!
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Dirty Bird » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:53 pm

Hey PonyPride,
You ever thought about a career in journalism?
You right good.
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:29 pm

Thanks .... I think.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangFan » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:53 am

How come the DALLAS Morning News can't have a story like this?
Nice job, guys. Keep it up.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby HorsePower » Wed May 07, 2003 3:12 pm

Any word on how his first minicamp went?
HorsePower
Heisman

Return to Football