PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CFN 2003 Preview

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

CFN 2003 Preview

Postby RE Tycoon » Wed May 07, 2003 10:23 am

College football News released it's 2003 preview for the 'Stangs today. They are always fairly in-depth and this report is no different.

You can access it right from the homepage, for today anyways,at: <A HREF="http://www.collegefootballnews.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.collegefootballnews.com/</A>

or after today at: <A HREF="http://www.collegefootballnews.com/wac/2003_Previews/SMU%20Preview.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.collegefootballnews.com/wac/2003_Previews/SMU%20Preview.htm</A>
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Re: CFN 2003 Preview

Postby PonyPride » Wed May 07, 2003 10:48 am

Thanks for that link - I borrowed it and linked up the story to the home page.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Nacho » Wed May 07, 2003 10:55 am

Sounds like it was written before spring practice. Grade: 2
Nacho

Postby SHAQFU » Wed May 07, 2003 11:00 am

No credibility.

How is Rutledge ranking #8 on the "Top-Ten SMU Football Players"?

Come on...
SHAQFU
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Wed May 07, 2003 11:14 am

I think he's right on about one thing. The Baylor game is huge for us as is the Nevada game. We've never beaten Nevada. If we could pull off wins over those two teams, I think we could have a really great year.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Roach » Wed May 07, 2003 11:15 am

Agreed - there's no way Jonas is #8 ... on the team, much less on defense. He's way too talented for that.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby abezontar » Wed May 07, 2003 11:27 am

We have beaten Nevada, the first time we played them here at home in Nevada's first year in the conference. We have since lost to them twice.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dement-ed » Wed May 07, 2003 11:31 am

How much did Nevada lose, personnel-wise (besides Burleson, thankfully), since last year?

[This message has been edited by Dement-ed (edited 05-07-2003).]
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Eddie P » Wed May 07, 2003 11:37 am

Hey Current STUDent-

What's been going on? Haven't spoken with you since our fateful Tulsa excursion for the WAC tourney. Are you finished with school yet? How are your buddies doing that I met in Tulsa?

Postby HorsePower » Wed May 07, 2003 12:43 pm

Nevada should have RB Chance Kretschmer (national 2001 rushing leader) back this year, right?ÿ
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed May 07, 2003 1:30 pm

That took my happiness outta me for a second but then I realized hey! they're jackasses! LoL Im hyped up still for the SMU Football Season! Its gettin here to slow!

------------------
The Red And Blue Is Back! Let the Pony Pride Ride On The Hilltop!
*Go Stars*
Mustangs35SMU

Postby giacfsp » Wed May 07, 2003 3:07 pm

A few things from that story struck me:

1. The writer of that story anticipates "a nightmare" against TCU. Maybe we'll beat TCU, maybe they'll beat us. But we were competitive with them last year, and the Frogs lost a lot more than we did. To predict a lopsided TCU win appears shortsighted, at best.

2. In the section where they talk about Kincade as the team's best offensive player, they talk about him having ShanDerrick Charles back from a back injury. Is that true? He didn't practice during the spring, and I thought there was speculation his career might be over.

3. They say the offensive line will be fine, with four starters returning. The increased continuity is nice, but our reserves are inexperienced, at best. The line is one injury away from playing a true freshman or a redshirt freshman, and while those reserves undoubtedly are working their tails off, I doubt that would lend a huge element of confidence to our man Bartel. Additional PROVEN depth will be necessary before we can call the line "fine."
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Wed May 07, 2003 3:21 pm

If Bartel is the 9th best player on the team I can't wait for the season to start.
Nacho

Postby Roach » Wed May 07, 2003 3:33 pm

Me too. If Rutledge is #8 and Bartel is #9, we'll be a whole lot better this year than anyone expects.o
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed May 07, 2003 6:48 pm

I would tend to blow these clowns off completely... except for the fact that last year they predicted that Richard Bartel would be the impact player from our last draft class (the only one). They couldn't have been more right!

I don't have a problem with Jonas' #8 ranking. He didn't do anything special last year. In fact, you could go so far as to say he really had an off year (dropped ball on one play, flash of brilliance the next). Hopefully, he'll go back to his sophomore form. Kid has all the talent in the world, hopefully we'll see it again.

These guys have been in love with ShanDerrick since his freshman year (and who could blame them). Would love to see SDC back, but as far as I know, nobody (who is anyboady) has gone on record even so much as to suggest he'd be back on the field this fall. That's not good. And even if he got healthy, could he get back into football shape in time to crack the rotation that now includes KK and Fitzgerald ? and of course there's Massey, Turner and Dorsey waiting in the wings too?

Would love to see Comet back among the top performers.

IMHO, they're waaay to optimistic about or offensive line, although I'd love to be proven wrong. Maybe if Bartel scorches the D on some blitzes, that'll keep defenders honest and make our line look a little better. Or maybe not.

Nice to know they think we got an impact receiver in Cleveland.... we certainly need one.

They're right on the money with Justin Boren. But I think we pulled several other good linemen in this last class.

I think Desmond Jones is going to be a holy terror and probably has a much chance as anybody of being an instant impact player.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Return to Football