PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Scenario

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Scenario

Postby AusTxPony » Thu May 08, 2003 1:31 pm

Here's a scenario I haven't heard much about except on the Wac Forum Board. What if the WAC raided the MWC? Say we took New Mexico and SDSU or UNLV or both if SJSU drops to 1-AA. Would that help the league? Put New Mexico in East and the other in West and play only two crossover games (one home and one away leaving 4-5 OOC games with nearby or big money rivals), plus a championship game (which we need since we have so few bowls). It also would cut travel costs.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Re: New Scenario

Postby WildHorse » Thu May 08, 2003 4:02 pm

Sounds unlikely to me, since when the Mountain West teams defected from the WAC to form their own league, they were posturing for the media (and fans) as if they'd somehow moved up in the world. It would be hard for a school that had strutted like that to eat a little crow and come back to the league they had abandoned. And would the current WAC schools want them back?

Of course, money governs every decision, and with that in mind, what's the difference in bowl tie-ins and TV contracts? That's where you'll find the answers to the logic of ATP's proposal.

With that said, I like the idea, at least on the surface. Just don't see it happening.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Football