PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

(Yes Roach) ........More UT Players Arrested!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

(Yes Roach) ........More UT Players Arrested!

Postby VarsityShop » Sun May 11, 2003 12:55 pm

Here we go again.......more UT Longhorns Arrested!

Of course it is on the very back pages of the Dallas Morning News Sports section.....if this were SMU players it would be page 1 of the Sports Section.

I predict it will be just like last year.....remember the UT star running back got arrested and it was all a "mis-understanding"........then the UT star baseball player got arrested for kicking a guy senseless and hiding from police in the back seat of a car at 4am in the morning.....yeah that was another "mis-understanding"...... Now 4 Longhorn football players are arrested with drugs in their car, and low and behold like Sargent Schultz on Hogan's Heroes..."they know nothing".....didnt even know the drugs were there!..Choir Boys that were shocked!...LOL......By the way how does this UT player afford a "late model SUV"?....LOL.....We will now see the spin begin of "oh this is all a misunderstanding" or "hey its only weed man" or "these 4 UT players are the victims".....it will all get brushed under the carpet again like it always does with Texas. (remember Pinkney & Adams)

Watch the law firm of "Stallion, Stallion, & WhineStein" will come running to these poor innocent UT fine scholar athlete's defense! (ha ha ha)

---------------------------------------------

Lawyer: UT players "unaware" Drugs In Vehicle
Adams says marijuana didn't belong to arrested Texas players

05/11/2003

By RANA L. CASH / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Four University of Texas football players were arrested last week in Madisonville, Texas, for suspicion of possession of marijuana, according to officials from the Madison County jail.

Texas backup defensive tackle Larry Dibbles, from Lancaster, was driving his late model Ford Expedition on May 1 when he was pulled over by officer Tracy Speights of the Brazos Valley Narcotics Task Force during a traffic stop about 140 miles east of Austin. Less than two ounces of marijuana was found in the vehicle.

Dibbles, cornerback Edorian McCullough of North Garland, linebacker Aaron Harris from North Mesquite and running back Selvin Young from Houston Jersey Village were arrested.

According to information from a signed affidavit that Dibbles' attorney, Houston-based Major Adams, provided, a Texas student not on the football team borrowed Dibbles' car April 30. The student, whom Adams did not name, thought he was being followed by the police and put the marijuana in the console, Adams said.

Adams said the student returned the car to Dibbles the same night but did not inform him of the marijuana in the car.

Adams said he does not know why Dibbles was pulled over.

[This message has been edited by VarsityShop (edited 05-11-2003).]
VarsityShop
Varsity

Re: (Yes Roach) ........More UT Players Arrested!

Postby giacfsp » Sun May 11, 2003 6:03 pm

"By the way how does this UT player afford a "late model SUV"?"

Same way they afford lawyers, I guess. And didn't the story say they each posted bond? Undoubtedly with the laundry money from their parents. There are some college athletes who can afford lawyers and cars, of course, but why are they always the ones who get caught? How come we never read about a star player getting arrested and the story saying they're being represented by a court-appointed junior district attorney's assistant? What a coincidence....
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Mon May 12, 2003 4:49 pm

Anyone who thinks they'll miss a game is fooling themselves. These guys will get off scot-free.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Mon May 12, 2003 4:50 pm

And I wonder if there's a way to verify whether they actually have to pay the lawyer(s)?
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon May 12, 2003 5:23 pm

I TOTALLY!! agree with SMUguy

------------------
The Red And Blue Is Back! Let the Pony Pride Ride On The Hilltop!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Steve-UT » Tue May 13, 2003 3:24 pm

I posted on this board earlier because I'm moving to SMU for law school and got advice for living. I still look every once in a while, but I had to chime in on this though.

I can't tell you how amusing it is that SMU fans of all people are making snide remarks about another players SUV.

Cmon guys..that just cracks me up.

That being said, I can assure you that UT is as clean a program as there is since I was involved in it the last 4 years. As for this, who knows, but really...it's weed and college kids....who cares?

Anyways...just curious why the disdain for Texas on this board.
Steve-UT

Postby EastStang » Tue May 13, 2003 3:54 pm

Where do you want to start our disdain. How about Darrell Royal's "Meat on the Hoof" program and payoffs never investigated by the NCAA while he regularly turned in SMU for similar violations which were ruled upon by the NCAA executive council headed by none other than the UT Chancellor. Or how about when Texas and A&M decided to look for greener pastures in the Big 12 and toasted the Cotton Bowl, SMU, Rice, Houston and TCU in the process decimating a conference that had traditions dating back almost a century. So forgive our chortling when one of UT's finest ends up in the paddywagon. I'm sure UT has the cleanest program in the Country at least until they're caught.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUguy » Tue May 13, 2003 4:37 pm

To Steve-UT: You're right - SMU is not in a position to imply that other schools are cheating while SMU has been squeaky-clean throughout its history. That's certainly not what I meant to imply. Our record (unfortunately) speaks for itself. However, I'd be surprised if UT or any other team of UT's national stature is completely clean - it's just too hard to police. I'm sure Mack Brown is a man whose moral and ethical standards are every bit as high as they're reported to be. But I'd suggest that it's naive to believe there isn't a booster out there who's so eager to load up his alma mater's roster with HS all-America players that he wouldn't bend the rules. I am NOT suggesting that is the case at Texas, merely that it's possible. When you have a fan base as large as UT's, it's extremely hard to monitor.

As for SMU fans' distaste for UT, it's nothing personal, at least in my case. The over-saturation of the Dallas media with all things orange gets really old. And you have to recall that when SMU went through its issues 20 years ago, there were more than a few punchlines at our expense. Besides, when a team that is at or near the top (Texas, Florida State) has players who get headlines for something other than athletic performance, it's easy to take aim. Not personal, just an innate desire to knock a team annointed as among the nation's best down a peg or two.

With that said, we're glad to have you on our board, and good luck at SMU Law School!

• • • • • • • • • •

By the way, the Austin American-Statesman found these little pearls in the Texas media guide.

Larry Dibbles' favorite movie: "The Fast and the Furious" (flick about stealing cars)
Dibbles' worst movie ever seen: "Dude, Where's my Car?"
Dibbles' dream as a football player: To gain a reputation as a great person both on and off the field
Dibbles choice with whom to co-star in a music video: Puff Daddy
Selvin Young's nickname: "Stoney"

• • • • • • • • • •

Kind of ironic, huh?
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Silk » Tue May 13, 2003 4:43 pm

That list from the media guide is too funny!

For me, the dislike of UT started when they (and A&M) flirted with the PAC-10 and the Southeastern Conference, accelerating the demise of the once-great Southwest Conference. The SWC was great college football. In my opinion, greed on the part of the big schools killed it.
Silk
Varsity

Postby Steve-UT » Tue May 13, 2003 6:00 pm

yah,

That list is pretty good.

Whatever stuff goes on and I agree with you, it probably does go on at least to some degree everywhere, there was nothing major that I ever witnessed at Texas and I believe I was in a position where I would have known.

The one thing I get in Austin all the time is about the players cars. You would simply be amazed at how affluent the parent's of some of our players are. Especially when their child is getting a free education/room and board. I just happened to live with a blue-chip recruit, and a 4 year starter that is now in the NFL for awhile during college and I know he didn't get jack ****.

I guess I get the whole demise of the SWC thing. It definately knocked SMU, TCU, and Rice back a notch.

Like I've said before. I really like the direction of your program though and can see yall competing for a top 25 spot in the coming years.
Steve-UT

Postby Lotus » Tue May 13, 2003 6:56 pm

"I really like the direction of your program though and can see yall competing for a top 25 spot in the coming years."

Thanks for the encouragement - welcome to our site! Hope you enjoy your years at SMU as much as we all did. (Might even make a PonyFan out of you yet!)
SMU! SMU! SMU!
Lotus
All-American

Return to Football