PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We talked about this last week....

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

We talked about this last week....

Postby BUS » Sun Sep 10, 2000 7:17 pm

The most important, biggest, toughest game is the one you play THIS WEEK.

I am quite upset at the lack of desire.

If you read the Bible.. Have you run the race to win...

The ONLY game to focus on is SC State.

I love you Mustangs. Get Focused.
GSS
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: We talked about this last week....

Postby PK » Sun Sep 10, 2000 7:35 pm

Hey BUS ... that's NCState. And yes you are right about everything else.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby MustangMom » Sun Sep 10, 2000 9:31 pm

Bus,

Is it really lack of desire. I don' think so. Not after the way they played against Kansas. UTEP got stomped by Oklahoma and this was their opener at home. I think they are better than people thought and they were out for blood. The Mustangs have a young team. Maybe lack of focus, a letdown after the emotional home opener in the new stadium, or just getting put back on their heels in the first few mihutes of the game.
They seemed to get things going more in the second half, but with UTEP in possesion of the ball for 12 minutes in the 3rd quarter - they got going too little,
too late.

Yes, they do need to play better and N.C. State will not be easy - they are good.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Sun Sep 10, 2000 9:52 pm

I agree and disagree. I think SMU might have been a little cocky. That might have thought since they beat a Big 12 team and UTEP got killed by another (better) Big 12 team, that UTEP was going to be a walk. Obviously that was not the case. I don't know how many of you guys watched this game, but UTEP is not bad at all. They have some real talent. Our offense could do very little, exspecially in terms of running the ball in the first half. In the second half, UTEP came and had a drive that consumed most of the quarter. That was the straw that broke the camel's back....Then UTEP appeared to go into a zone-prevent type of D, and that is when SMU seemed to get all of our stats.....That is just my two cents worth..

I think on any given Saturday we can beat any given team. There are no guarantees. We cannot walk into a game to cocky and we cannot walk into a game thinking we are gonna get killed. We have to be confident, not cocky.....

Heres hoping for a mustangs win on Saturday!
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby BUS » Mon Sep 11, 2000 9:38 am

I do not mean to make anyone upset or mad at me but most of NCAA Div I is mental.

Given the fact that 85 ships are offered, no team can hog all the talent ie.. 1960 and UT.

Most all teams have big men and fast men. The difference is desire and attitude.

How bad do you want to kick some [deleted] this day. Mr. Comet is awesome.. not because I like him and his family but because he comes to do his VERY BEST.

No more --- we are so young --- How old was David when he killed Goliath?

Desire and focus on the task at hand.

Beat NC State

Love you Mustangs
GSS
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby crazy horse » Mon Sep 11, 2000 10:23 am

We simply got outcoached and outhustled on Saturday. It was strangely similar to other games we've played in previous Septembers. UTEP seemed to continually call the perfect plays to counter whatever we did.

A couple of positives that I saw watching the tape:
1. The emergence of Marcus Carter as a deep threat - His first catch had TD written all over it - did he just run out of gas?
2. Unlike many games last year, there was some offense throughout the game - just way too many missed opportunities and mistakes.

UTEP came ready to play. It would have required a very strong effort to win that game with absolutely no mistakes.

Now, on Saturday we have the opportunity to catch NC State looking ahead. They are coming off an emotional road win and play Georgia Tech the following Thursday. If the team can get focused, we might steal a road win. Is that possible?
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby MustangMom » Mon Sep 11, 2000 11:58 am

Bus,

No one is mad at your post. You were just giving your opinion and I was giving mine. That is what makes this fun and interesting.

Bottom line - we want the Mustangs to do everything they can to win.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Tue Sep 12, 2000 1:53 pm

Bus, you are not offending anyone, this is what these boards are about, stating your oppinion, in a civilized way.

I think SMU may have been a little cocky and maybe did not take the UTEP game as seriously as they should have. But I think the argument last week was justified by PonyFans.com, UTEP is not the toughest team on the schedule. Yes, UTEP was the most important game that week, and could show to be the most important game this season.

Now NCState is our main concern. I think you are right about that.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Football