PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question for Sports Law guy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Question for Sports Law guy

Postby SMUguy » Tue May 13, 2003 12:38 pm

There's been some talk on this board about the UT guys who were arrested a few days ago when drugs were found in the car they were riding in. Now there's a story in today's Morning News that says their lawyer has a letter from another student who admits to owning the drugs, etc.

Without getting in to the specifics of the UT case, when a student-athlete is arrested and retains a lawyer (and assuming they don't have lots of disposable cash to pay for a lawyer) - do they have to pay for the lawyer themselves? Is it legal for some rich booster to pay the lawyer? Do they have to find a lawyer (perhaps a school donor, season ticket holder, etc.) who will take the case for free?

Again, I'm not asking specifically about the guys at Texas. But there are always stories about athletes getting into trouble, and I was curious.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Re: Question for Sports Law guy

Postby Sports Law » Wed May 14, 2003 12:59 am

The short answer is: Yes, they have to retain their own attorney and, yes, they have to pay for that attorney themselves. If the university or a booster or someone else retains the attorney or the attorney provides his/her services for free, then that could (and likely would) be considered an "Extra Benefit" that is prohibited by the NCAA. Now, (without any reference to any particular case - UT or otherwise) the mere coincidence that these attorneys often have an affiliation with the school is just that - a coincidence.....right??

Thanks for the question. Keep em coming!
Sports Law

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed May 14, 2003 11:03 am

Lookee... an honest attorney. Alert the media, I think hell may just have frozen over.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUguy » Wed May 14, 2003 11:18 am

Thanks, Sports Law.

And you're right, PP - it is getting a little chilly down below!
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Return to Football