PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A Sleath Strategy for Big East & ND

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A Sleath Strategy for Big East & ND

Postby Water Pony » Tue May 13, 2003 3:44 pm

Golden (Dome) Opportunity reads well as a possible move in the aftermath of Miami and ACC getting together:

<A HREF="http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/matt_hayes/20030513.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/matt_hayes/20030513.html</A>
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: A Sleath Strategy for Big East & ND

Postby Silk » Tue May 13, 2003 4:18 pm

The part of that story that makes me sick (other than the mere mention of Notre Dame, of course) is that the writer is suggesting that the Big East allow Notre Dame to maintain its own TV contract AND piggy-back the conference's TV deal. That means that if Virginia Tech and Pitt play a nationally televised game, Notre Dame gets cash from the conference, even though the school already has NBC as its personal PR firm?

That deal is awful. Notre Dame already has a leg up on every other team in the country. That's the last school that needs any additional funding.

Maybe they should just move the NCAA commissioner's office to South Bend.
Silk
Varsity

Postby OldPony » Tue May 13, 2003 6:06 pm

Actually, a new conference with ND would be a good idea for us. Wouldn't it be nice if we could lure ND with a similar set up with say TCU, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane and maybe a couple or three others for a seven or eight team conference that could play 3 to 4 out of conference teams. I know I am only dreaming but as long as we're talking bribery to get someone in a conference....What a coup something like that could be. A 8 team private school league with ND as the centerpiece. OK- I'll try to get back to reality now that I have awakened.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue May 13, 2003 11:03 pm

Notre Dame is the one program in the country that has some degree of control in all of this. They have no motivation to share any football revenue and the BCS has already adopted a double standard to accomodate them.

I like the idea of the Big East Alliance that's been discussed, where Notre Dame could align with the Big East bball schools (Nova, St Johns, G-Town, Prov & S. Hall) and add Marquette & DePaul to form an 8 team league that could maintain a relationship with the Big East football schools. The football schools would number the same 8 the Big east has played with for years and leave open the possibility that Temple participates in all sports and Louisville and Cincy most likely get invites.

One thing is certain. If the ACC pulls the trigger, CUSA is going to be impacted and that will be SMU's chance to reunite with TCU & Houston. Let's hope it happens. I'd just like to play in a conference where our longest road game is no more than what we face with those trips to El Paso! Crossing one time zone for conference play is plenty.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football