PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Can we buy our way

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Can we buy our way

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue May 13, 2003 5:34 pm

into the Big 12?

We are clearly a superior school to Baylor and have tremendously more upside potential.

Baylor’s 1-31 Big 12 record over the past 4 seasons proves they are not BCS-worthy. Coach Bennett’s recruiting achievements (best non-BCS class) prove we can be. I suspect he could out-recruit Tech and OK State and in a good year, A$M.

Baylor drew 20k fans to a K-State home game last year, 28K for the #4 ranked OU game last year and 7K for a home game 2 years ago. Baylor arguably has bigger attendance issues than we do.

It is in Waco for *%!#^ sake.

Why not offer the Big 12 $30M upfront and forgo 5 years of revenue sharing (another $45M savings).

We can generate more dollars for the Big 12 than Baylor and that is what this is all about.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Can we buy our way

Postby Pony4Life » Tue May 13, 2003 5:41 pm

Have you got $30 mil burning a hole in your pocket that you'd like to donate?

Besides, even if some big-bucks donor came forward with a fat sack of cash, the Big 12 would do everything possible to avoid kicking out one of its own, no matter how bad BU is.

How big is Baylor's stadium? Even if BU was to suddenly disappear from the Big 12 landscape, the conference might contend that SMU couldn't house enough fans in Ford Stadium to make it worthwhile for the conference to accept us.

I like your idea - just don't think it would fly.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby PonyGirl » Wed May 14, 2003 12:44 pm

I doubt there's any chance at all. Like Pony4Life said, it's a nice idea, but it seems really unlikely.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby GrapevineMustang » Wed May 14, 2003 2:07 pm

SoCal, you are kidding, right?

Although your comment about Waco is very well-put. Couldn't have said it better myself.

[This message has been edited by GrapevineMustang (edited 05-14-2003).]
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed May 14, 2003 5:10 pm

GM,

Unfortunately, I do not think we can buy our way into the Big 12.

I do believe the process is in motion to further separate the haves from the have-nots and that over time this gap will widen, not narrow.

Therefore the only way for ANY school to survive is to become BCS. That mere assertion eliminates over 90% of the non-BSC schools. IMO, it does not eliminate us, primarily due to our location in Dallas.

The end-game for us, however remote, is to become BCS. Since our only viable BCS option is the Big 12, we must replace their weakest link, which is clearly Baylor.

We can offer more to the Big 12 than Baylor; that is a fact.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Nacho » Wed May 14, 2003 5:28 pm

Since we beat Baylor and TCU is basketball last season I think we should be in the Big 12.
Nacho

Return to Football