PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

relative strength

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

relative strength

Postby Nacho » Wed May 14, 2003 11:18 am

Many rumors are floating around about conference realignments. I feel that the BE is going to take 2 or 3 members from C-USA--probably Louisville, Cincy and then either E Carolina or Marshall (MAC).

In any event the C-USA as we know it will esentially cease to exist. The scramble will then be on for the C-USA remaining teams to align themselves with another group of teams. The only logical choice is the eastern WAC. SMU finds itself in a position of relative strength. We can align ourselves with the wester C-USA schools (that is somewhat risky given the unknown status of Tulane and UAB). I know that TCU absolutely hates this turn of events but when they calm down they will see that it is actually in their best interests to align with the eastern WAC.

I may be in a minority here but I would like to See UNT in the mix. It would create some kind of buzz in the metroplex and stop some of that incessant Big 12 drivel that is shoved down our throats ad nauseum.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: relative strength

Postby SMUguy » Wed May 14, 2003 11:21 am

If events play out the way you indicate, would the WAC schools' presidents want TCU back? TCU is a good team/program, of course, but they jumped ship for C-USA, and I wonder if any of the WAC school administrations would harbor a grudge and not vote to bring them back in?
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Wed May 14, 2003 11:29 am

I don't see any problem with TCU coming back. In fact I think they will be welcomed with open arms. They left the same way SMU would have left if given the chance.
Nacho

Postby EastStang » Wed May 14, 2003 11:33 am

The TCU board talk seems to focus on not being stuck with the WAC East teams of Tulsa, SMU, Rice, La. Tech and UTEP. Many would rather travel and be part of a MWC which included: Boise State, Fresno, AFA, and CSU. As we know however, those schools won't do much for attendance and travel costs. However, I guess it all comes down to TV and Bowl opportunities. If a regional SW conference can deliver Bowl opportunities and a decent TV contract then I think you'd see TCU jump on the bandwagon. The problem with a regional conference is that you might not get a National TV contract, but a Fox SW contract instead. Although having saturation in DFW, Houston, and hopefully New Orleans would grab someone's attention.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PonyTales » Wed May 14, 2003 11:40 am

I kind of agree with SMUguy - I could see the WAC presidents telling TCU "you didn't want us, now we don't want you." It's not like TCU would bring us a share of a BCS bowl bid. I don't think there would be a massive financial boost by bringing back the Frogs. I like the fact that we still play them every year, but I wouldn't be upset to see the WAC tell them "No."
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Wed May 14, 2003 12:00 pm

There are about a million reasons why going to the MWC is a bad idea but if TCU thinks going to the MWC is a good idea that's okay with me. More power to them. We should then definitely invite UNT and have the metroplex to ourselves.
Nacho

Return to Football