PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sports Illustrated article

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sports Illustrated article

Postby MustangMan » Thu May 15, 2003 5:26 pm

There's a story in the new Sports Illustrated (Cubs on the cover - arrived at my house today) this week about websites like this one. It talks about how coaches are paranoid when they're in public because everything they say or do might be overheard by someone who then will post their actions and/or words -- perhaps inaccurately -- on the internet, even when mainstream media is not covering a story.

It mentioned several stories (like the arrest of the former Ohio State QB -- Balliseri, or something like that -- and the crumbling relations between Matt Doherty and the UNC basketball players) that hit the internet through college fan websites before hitting mainstream media.

It also mentions that there are many sites out there that are run by accredited media and maintains strong relationships with the schools they cover, and only reports stories when they have their information confirmed by reliable, quotable sources. I'd say PonyFans.com falls in this category, which is part of the reason this site is so enjoyable.

Pretty interesting story.
MustangMan
Junior Varsity

Re: Sports Illustrated article

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu May 15, 2003 5:37 pm

I agree. I've seen other fan Web sites and this one speaks volumes for its 'classiness' and 'professionalism' in covering the Mustangs! Keep up the great work, guys!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Sports Illustrated article

Postby Lotus » Thu May 15, 2003 7:30 pm

I read that story in the new S.I., and couldn't believe how much nicer this site is than some of the ones listed. The fans who visit this site critique SMU quite fairly, I'd say, when it's deserved, but also appear fiercely loyal and generally supportive and positive. You guys do a great job. MrMustang1965's analysis hit the nail on the head.M
SMU! SMU! SMU!
Lotus
All-American

Return to Football