PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Surprise players in 2000

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Surprise players in 2000

Postby PonyExpress » Tue Apr 25, 2000 5:30 pm

Who's going to be a pleasant surprise for the Mustangs this season? I think we all expect great things from Josh McCown, Kris Briggs, Chris Cunningham, Vic Viloria, etc. But who's going to leave SMU fans asking "Where did this guy come from?"

My three votes are LB-turned-DE Kevin Aldridge, TE John Hampton and LB Devonric Johnson.

Aldridge has bulked up to 260 pounds -- making him about 30 pounds bigger than Luke Johnson was -- but he also was a star running back in high school, so this guy can cover some ground in a hurry. He and Markus Pratt should make a nice pair of defensive ends.

Hampton was sensational in spring practice. He looks like he's faster than Michael Brown and may have better hands. With a little more work, he might become a terrific blocker, too.

Devonric Johnson (Sterling Harris' step brother, I think) is a physically well-developed guy - the guy is chiseled out of granite. He started to stand out on special teams, and should play a major role on the defense this year.

Your thoughts?
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Re: Surprise players in 2000

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2000 12:29 am

I would have to say my surprise players are John Hampton and DE Trent Hrncir.

Postby MustangMatt » Wed Apr 26, 2000 2:40 am

Brian Bischoff, wait and see. This guy won the outstanding performance award in weights during the Spring. It is called the iron horse award. Look out for #46!

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby BUS » Wed Apr 26, 2000 9:31 am

#1 question -- D-Tackles are ???
How big are they (need 4 total, like going two deep L&R)???
That is the area I see as weak. with Pratt and now Aldridge up to about 260 the ends are good.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Apr 26, 2000 11:19 am

We have Chris Post(6-3 270), Lute Croy(6-2 300), Warrie Birdwell(6-2 250), Thorton Chandler(2-2 255), J.D.Blagg(6-1 265), and Chase Schavrda(6-2 255). The guys that are 250-260 need to gain about 15-20 more pounds. But we have depth, just maybe a little more size!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BUS:
<B>#1 question -- D-Tackles are ???
How big are they (need 4 total, like going two deep L&R)???
That is the area I see as weak. with Pratt and now Aldridge up to about 260 the ends are good.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby graypony » Wed Apr 26, 2000 3:43 pm

Actually, Blagg is 286 lbs now after a redshirt year and won one of the off season weight lifting awards. These awards were not based on how much total weight one could lift, but based on weight lifted in regard to player weight. For example, I think Josh & Vic were one of the ten who won the award (getting over 1500 points) but would not have to lift as much as a bigger lineman to get their 1500 points.
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU00 » Thu Apr 27, 2000 1:29 pm

Big surprise this year: Jonas Rutledge and Thornton Chandler, the Florida Mustangs.
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangMan » Fri Apr 28, 2000 5:05 pm

OL Kevin Gober was overpowering at times in the spring, especially in the Red/Blue scrimmage. I read in the Ponyfans.com report of the previous week's scrimmage that he dominated the DL that week, too. I look for a huge year out of Gober.
MustangMan
Junior Varsity

Postby graypony » Sat Apr 29, 2000 12:43 am

Another newcomer to make a major contribution: Leroy Price
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangMatt » Tue Aug 15, 2000 9:54 pm

I don't want to sound cocky, but I told yall so. I think Brian has not gotten the publicity he has deserved by fans and media. He was recently mentioned in a DMN article as Billy Bischoff. Brian won the Iron Horse award in the spring, which is the strength award. He has busted his butt every day in practice. To make this story even better, he told me today, that he was offered a full ride, which he accepted. Congratulations Brian, this is truly a great story. Since BJ got hurt, it looks like Brian has claimed the starting position. Trust me, he will be ready for 9-2-2000. Look out for the #46!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MustangMatt on April 26, 2000:
<B>Brian Bischoff, wait and see. This guy won the outstanding performance award in weights during the Spring. It is called the iron horse award. Look out for #46!

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!

[This message has been edited by MustangMatt (edited 08-15-2000).]
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Return to Football