PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

fall back plan

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

fall back plan

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon May 19, 2003 1:31 pm

Something tells me SMU will never catch a break in the realignment game. Hope I am wrong, but what about this as disaster planning: If the MWC expands and if there are only 3 spots open in CUSA (quite possible if BE goes to 9 all sports for now), I could see CUSA taking Tulsa because of hoops, Marshall and somebody like Central Florida or even La Tech. Obviously that leaves us with a problem and not enough decent teams to make a new SWC. Sunbelt football will most likely die from new D-1 requirements. At that point, I go independent in football. Look to play other independents in October like Army, Navy,Rice and UNT home and home and play at Notre Dame any and every year they want a home game with no return obligation. Attendance and finances would be better than in the WAC and certainly couldnt be worse. For basketball, create all-sports league looking something like this: SMU, Rice, Utep, New Mexico State, North Texas, Western Kentucky, La Lafayette and La Tech. Not great by any stretch, but not a bad little basketball league. This league would never have any upside for football, but independence with a few 'alliance' partners could improve the football schedule over what we have now. If TCU would agree to a November game every year, we could play a schedule that goes something like: Sept: Baylor, OK State, Texas Tech, Kansas. October: Navy, Army, Rice, North Texas, Utep. November: TCU. That leaves us two games to find. Not insurmountable, could even play a Grambling .
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: fall back plan

Postby Big Easy Pony » Mon May 19, 2003 1:46 pm

Scary scenario. Hope it shakes out better than that.
Nice fallback plan, though. Not ideal, of course, but better than nothing.
Big Easy Pony
Varsity

Postby PK » Mon May 19, 2003 1:54 pm

I would hope that we will find a good conference home when all of this reconfiguring takes place. However, I would definitely prefer going indy as opposed to joining some halfbaked conference of rejects if that was the only other choice. After all, the BCS conferences are going to need some smaller schools to try to beat up on, so getting our slots filled shouldn't be too big a deal.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Nacho » Mon May 19, 2003 2:29 pm

Hoop Fan has his thinking cap on. Nice plan. I lke it as a plan B.

I'm no Jim Copeland fan by any stretch but now is the time for this guy to show up and show up Big Time. He has to doing something positive. I hope he is constantly on the phone talking to every team in all 50 states.

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited 05-19-2003).]
Nacho

Return to Football