PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

need for a regional conference

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: need for a regional conference

Postby EastStang » Wed May 21, 2003 10:35 am

One reason that OSU, TT, and Baylor have agreed to start coming to Ford and TCU is recruiting. They want access to the DFW market. They have determined that UT and A&M dominate the media here, and they are getting shut out. By bringing their circus to town and flying their colors they feel that they can make some inroads into the very talent rich DFW recruiting base. Obviously they don't want to come and lose, but even then the old addage goes, as long as you spell my name right in paper.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Wed May 21, 2003 11:23 am

There are also other big time programs in other conferences that would probably love an opertunity to get exposure to recruits in this area. Long term independence may not be feasible, but for a short term situation, we could probably make it work.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed May 21, 2003 7:17 pm

PK: I've got to disagree. Short term scheduling would be much more difficult than long term. Most schools have non-conference schedules locked in for 2-4 yrs, so it would require lots of changes and the vast majority of schools have conference commitments in Oct-Nov. I can't say this enough: independence would kill us. We'd be looking for I-AA opponents the 1st couple of years. We all remember how successful that Cal-Northridge game was!
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football