PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hey Eaststang...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hey Eaststang...

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue May 20, 2003 6:43 pm

I with you on reading into the tone Tranghese's comments yesterday. That sure does not sound like a guy who hopes or expects to be leading a reconstituted Big East. It makes no sense to me that Pitt, WVU and Va Tech would not want to align with Uconn, Rutgers and Navy somehow long before wanting Houston, Tulane and TCU. Possibly even Temple, but there may be some bad blood there. Despite that logic, which seems obvious to me, i am starting to think that CUSA actually has a chance to stick together and add the 3 desirables from BE. Navy is more key to this than anybody is saying I think. There is a reason CUSA wanted them so bad.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Hey Eaststang...

Postby EastStang » Tue May 20, 2003 7:02 pm

Like I said, I find his statement puzzling and the other statement about the Catholic schools keeping the Big East name if they joined together in some fashion. The BE meeting ended a day early which could mean Miami and Company said adios mf. Perhaps the BCS whose TV contract ends in 2006 can say to the Big East, you don't have enough schools (8) who signed the original agreement with the BCS and your new arrivals don't count. The question then becomes do the BE five stay together and raid CUSA or does CUSA raid the BE.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Hey Eaststang...

Postby JayM » Tue May 20, 2003 7:10 pm

Big East basketball vs Big East football for name rights? Could happen. Here's an article about Notre Dame's clout in that possible battle.

<A HREF="http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/6380385" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/6380385</A>
JayM
Scout Team

Return to Football