PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU: Friendly Rival or.............

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TCU: Friendly Rival or.............

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed May 21, 2003 12:22 pm

Bitter Enemy? Which is it really? One theory says that there is synergy between two very similar schools and that both would want to be in the same conference if possible. Another theory is that there is not enough room for both of us in DFW recruiting after UT and A&M take the first choices. The question, if it comes right down to it, does TCU use the leg up it currently has to help us or p*** on us?

[This message has been edited by PonyPride (edited 05-21-2003).]
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: TCU: Friendly Rival or.............

Postby PonyTales » Wed May 21, 2003 12:39 pm

You don't really think they'll do anything to help us, do you?
Neither do I.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby crazy horse » Wed May 21, 2003 2:08 pm

I thought I would chime in on this.

The SMU/TCU "rivalry" in my opinion has not lived up to its potential. When we've been up they've been down. Now that they are on a run, we're down. It does have potential to be a big deal if both schools could maintain a winning program.

That being said, I think it is a complete disaster for both teams that we have to waste an OOC game on each other. If we remain stuck in different nonBCS conferences, I think a careful study needs to be done to see if it makes sense for both schools. That may be heresy, but I would much prefer to play a BCS school than TCU if we're playing a WAC-type conference schedule. Obviously, the ideal situation is to have TCU in the same conference.

As far as market penetration goes, there are over 5 million people in the DFW market. TCU does not dominate Ft Worth anymore than SMU dominates Dallas. There is so much Division 1 type talent in this area that both schools can/should prosper.

I do hope this shake-up will bring us both back together. I think there are more positives to being conference mates than negatives. They may see it differently. But if we remain split, in football at least, I'm for taking a long hard look at our OOC scheduling.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Southland » Wed May 21, 2003 3:37 pm

Would TCU want us in its conference from a competitive standpoint... no.

Would TCU's southern partners want us in their conference from a competitive standpoint... probably a mix of yes and no.

Would TCU want us in its conference from a travel expense standpoint... probably indifferent because they play us non-conference in almost every sport.

Would TCU's southern partners want us in its conference from a travel expense standpoint... no doubt; one direct round trip ticket, stay in the same hotel for 3 nights to play two games.

You can argue a lot of pros and cons, but ultimately, it will come down to variance: what value to we add -- what expenses will they incur by adding us.

A major variable is who is voting as well... remember some of the players in these armchair commissioner conferences won't even be in Division 1A by the time 2005-2006 rolls around due to the new status rules that kick in June 2004.
Southland
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu May 22, 2003 1:16 am

Good question HF. Sadly, I think TCU is the closest thing to a rivalry we have. But outside of the 100 or so people on this board, both SMU and Frogs, I dont think there is much of a dislike between the two schools. We currently dont have a rival in the WAC and probably never will. The two schools that would and should be our biggest rivals, UT and A%M, are a thing of the past. I know I hate them more than I do TCU.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Eddie P » Thu May 22, 2003 2:04 am

Crazy horse-

I'm kinda curious...

Is it our inclusion of TCU in our OOC schedule that you say demands we have a "hard look" or is it something else? Just curious about what it is you like or dislike about our current, future and last year's OOC. I'm assuming you are referring to this year's "Rivals Week" OOC game in November against TCU. A game that draws VERY well on both sides, in both football and men's basketball, regardless of where the game is played. Is that the game/opponent you are referring to?

Postby crazy horse » Thu May 22, 2003 2:50 pm

Maybe I didn't make my point clearly.

I love the direction we are going with the OOC schedule. We absolutely need to play BCS schools from the Big 12 and SEC. No problem there at all.

I would just prefer to not use an OOC game on TCU. I am hopeful we will end up again in the same conference and this will be a moot point. But if that weren't an option, I would much prefer scheduling a longterm series with a Baylor, Tech or Arkansas if they are willing. Those games, IMO, would be much more attractive to SMU fans. And in the case of Baylor, is more of a historical rival with SMU than TCU. Again, IMHO.

If SMU improves and TCU maintains their winning ways, maybe this series can build into something interesting. But that has not been the case historically.

Hope that helps.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu May 22, 2003 8:11 pm

The bottom line is that we ABSOLUTELY need to continue our rivalry with TCU because it's the only true rivalry we have. Whether a conference mate or not, we need to play on the gridiron every year. I like being in the same conference because we can play home/home bball (men & women) and it does give us an opportunity to enhance our non-conference schedules (both schools), although it's a pretty good non-conference game, too.

The question is whether we have reached a point where it would serve both SMU & TCU to play as conference mates with UNT, reducing all of our travel budgets and setting up the annual "metroplex mayors' trophy" ???
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Thu May 22, 2003 8:25 pm

SMU should play TCU every year in every sport PERIOD.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu May 22, 2003 8:37 pm

Right you are. This time of year, it makes me wish we still had a baseball program!
Charleston Pony

Return to Football