PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulane Postponing Decision

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tulane Postponing Decision

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu May 22, 2003 2:14 pm

Tulane's ad hoc committee to study the role of the athletics program has postponed presenting its final recommendation, which was originally set for the Board of Trustees meeting May 28-29.

Tulane, which is losing millions annually in support of athletics, will entrust the eight-member committee to choose between a move to more affordable Division III, or dropping the football program while keeping other sports in Division I. They could also recommend staying status quo.

The committee decided it needed more time to evaluate the situation, especially because of potential changes being made in the Atlantic Coast Conference. The ACC, which is looking to expand by adding three Big East programs, could cause a domino effect to other major conferences, including Conference USA, to which Tulane belongs.

If Miami, BC and Syracuse bolt to the ACC and the BE grabs Cincinnati, Memphis and Louisville, this will obviously weaken C-USA.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Tulane Postponing Decision

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu May 22, 2003 2:33 pm

i have a feeling their administration is trying a 'pye tactic' here by threatening repercussions to athletics if certain thing like donations and/or fan attendance doesn't improve...like - serving notice, smoke screen or whatever....but it could backfire like it almost did @ SMU.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Roach » Thu May 22, 2003 2:46 pm

I hope Tulane doesn't give up on D-I athletics. I hate to see any school go through that. I can't imagine going to college without legitimate teams to root for.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu May 22, 2003 4:10 pm

Tulane's own administration has essentially committed suicide to its own athletic program with this idiotic move. What a bunch of morons. Yes, you reevaluate you're athletic program but not in this public manner with the cards that will determine their hand for years to come already being dealt in conference realignment. Of course, these are the geniuses who decided to voluntarily leave the SEC too.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu May 22, 2003 4:19 pm

stallion - that's brilliant & FUNNY!!! LOL

all they have to look at is what smu has done from '88 to the present & figure it out from there in the backroom w/o running it all thru the headlines!

SAAAAAAAAAAD!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri May 23, 2003 8:36 am

Tulane's situation is indeed similar to ours, except for the fact they have no on-campus football stadium and I think I read a couple of years ago that they really don't have a good site to build one, even if they had funding. After paying to lease the SuperDome, their attendance isn't strong enough to offset their football costs. They have the same problem in hoops, with their on-site facility seating only about 3500. I think they've been leasing for many of home bball games, as well.

Stallion is right, though. Don't you know those who jumped ship on the SEC would kill now to be the Vandy of the SEC's western division!
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Fri May 23, 2003 10:01 am

And just think, if they never left the SEC, there would not have been a spot for the Hogs. If the Hogs had stayed in the SWC, think Baylor would have ever been invited to the Big XII?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PK » Fri May 23, 2003 11:20 am

Yeah, Ann Richards would have seen to it anyway or there never would have been a big xii.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Hoss » Fri May 23, 2003 11:33 am

Are they talking about dropping out of D-1 for 2003? Or later on down the road?
Hoss
All-American

Postby The CPC » Fri May 23, 2003 12:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoss:
<B>Are they talking about dropping out of D-1 for 2003? Or later on down the road? </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Later. Its way too late to drop out for this coming year.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Return to Football