PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Realignments

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Realignments

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu May 29, 2003 6:34 pm

I wish Miami would either go to the ACC or not go, and get these things over with. There a lot of schools across the country with their futures hanging in the balance.
Swamp Gas
Junior Varsity

Re: Realignments

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu May 29, 2003 8:49 pm

You've got to consider the pressure being put on Miami's president

<A HREF="http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/general/story/6399362" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/general/story/6399362</A>

I've heard a decision is expected within 30-60 days, so that gives us lots to talk about until summer camps/recruiting commitments and 2-a-days become the new focus. For now, it's fun to think about possibly being reunited with TCU & Houston. That's the best thing that has come out of all of this.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan » Fri May 30, 2003 12:21 pm

But isn't Houston in the same dire financial situation as Tulane? Supposedly their attendance is terrible, and they don't have a team that suggests the future is any brighter. I thought UH was considering dropping down in football or eliminating the sport altogether. What would that do to all the shakeup possibilities?
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Phil Fan » Fri May 30, 2003 6:52 pm

Connecticut recently built a $90 million football stadium. Wouldn't their basketball prowess give them enough clout to make sure the Big East maintains some iota of a football presence? If the conference realignment was to shake out like we've been reading, that leaves UConn, a state school -- a small one, but a state school nonetheless -- holding the bill for a $90 million stadium for games that nobody wants to see?

I'm thinking that the UConn situation will force the Big East to make sure some decent (if not Miami-like) football schools join the league. I don't see them becoming essentially a basketball-only conference.
Phil Fan
Junior Varsity

Postby Buddha » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:53 pm

ESPN said last night that the pieces could start falling in to place as quickly as two weeks from now.
Buddha
All-American

Return to Football