PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

some hard $ numbers$ on Big East offer

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

some hard $ numbers$ on Big East offer

Postby bubba pony » Fri May 30, 2003 3:03 pm

<A HREF="http://www.nj.com/rutgers/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1054190046276700.xml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nj.com/rutgers/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1054190046276700.xml</A>
bubba pony
Heisman

Re: some hard $ numbers$ on Big East offer

Postby Greenwich Pony » Fri May 30, 2003 3:22 pm

Where were these concerned Senators when the SWC was going south? Hmm... tearing up a league with little tradition but some recent success would be catastrophic? The SWC had 81 years and the republic somehow survived.

I can't wait for the pending antitrust suit and investigations. Come the Revolution!
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri May 30, 2003 3:28 pm

its just a matter of time for the revolution to start within the next months or yr or so!!!

i agree - bring it on!!!!!!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby EastStang » Fri May 30, 2003 3:59 pm

Think about the number of states impacted by this. Florida, Va, W Va., Pa., NJ, NY, Mass. that's 12 US Senators including some committee chairs. But then again, Miami, Syracuse and BC are private schools. Its not like they care at all. Look how much credit UVa. gave to Governor Warner's efforts. When the SWC broke up it was just Texas at that point. Gramm and Bentson could give a hoot about SMU, Rice, Houston and TCU.

I'm a bit surprised that BC and Syracuse would agree to give that much money to Miami. It would be funny if Miami said "no" and they said, "yes" to the ACC.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri May 30, 2003 4:05 pm

that article pretty much hits on it. Miami isnt going anywhere and when the Big East is saved, all those powerful senators wont be concerned anymore because the Big East will have kept its BCS bid. All this will no doubt amount to bad PR for the BCS, but so what? PR doesnt pay the bills and the non-BCS schools will still have no real leverage whatsoever.
Hoop Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat May 31, 2003 1:14 pm

I highly doubt that Miami is not going to leave the Big East. Yesterday Miami's AD was quoted as getting more "comfortable" with the new ACC package numbers. The word around these parts is that Miami is ready to sign, they're just waiting for the ACC delegation to visit BC and Syracuse, something they must do (ACC bylaws) before they can vote their new members in. The BE is screwed.

Read this: <A HREF="http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/colleges/university_of_miami/5982131.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/colleges/university_of_miami/5982131.htm</A>

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 05-31-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sat May 31, 2003 1:30 pm

...I also recall that Senator Orin Hatch of Utah with the support of a group of Western Senators "invited" several witnesses to testify concerning posible anti-trust violations several years ago after BYU at 15-1 was denied a BCS Bowl. That's when the BCS allowed the MWC, CUSA and the WAC a seat at the table and threw them some Financial table scraps of the BCS money. BTW there have been at least a couple of Bentsen offspring who were SMU graduates as I am a distant cousin of the Senator by marriage.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 05-31-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 05-31-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Eddie P » Sat May 31, 2003 3:32 pm

I believe the latest was Lloyd Bentsen IV.

Nice guy.

Postby Nacho » Sat May 31, 2003 4:46 pm

I have never seen anything like this. Everyday I change my opinion about what the ACC/BE will do. We should all know by Thursday. Until then let the speculation continue.
Nacho

Return to Football