PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New BE

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New BE

Postby Nacho » Sat May 31, 2003 5:13 pm

This could be significant for the WAC and SMU. We may yet see Houston and TCU in the WAC. Houston is losing money hand over fist in C-USA. I don't see how they could refuse an offer from the WAC. It couldn't possibly be any worse for them. The new/old regional opponents would have to help.

TCU is in the position of having to eat humble pie if they return to the WAC. It would probably be to their long term benefit but their pride may get in the way. Staying in a watered down C-USA with Tulane and UAB on the ropes doesn't make much sense to me.

Anyway here's the link:

<A HREF="http://www.dailymail.com/news/Jack+Bogaczyk-20030531/" TARGET=_blank>www.dailymail.com/news/Jack+Bogaczyk-20030531/</A>
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: New BE

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat May 31, 2003 8:18 pm

This is the much talked about "Big East Alliance" and if this is the way it goes down, I agree that TCU and Houston will have a tough decision whether to stay with what's left of CUSA or join SMU, Rice, La Tech & Tulsa in the WAC east. It just might depend on where Memphis ends up because they are said to bring the Liberty Bowl. I would not be shocked to see the Big East go to 9 and invite Louisville, Cincy, Memphis and S.Fla. That gives them the Fla presence they want and a shot at having their champion play in the Liberty Bowl. I expect they would also have a good shot at the bowls in Charlotte and Charleston against an ACC or SEC opponent.
Charleston Pony

Postby Buddha » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:48 pm

Curious about this quote from Nacho: "Houston is losing money hand over fist in C-USA. I don't see how they could refuse an offer from the WAC."

If UH is losing money in C-USA, would their fortunes really improve in the WAC? With worse TV and bowl packages, and increased travel expenses? I'd think the only way UH comes to the WAC is if they get kicked out of C-USA. And with a few teams allegedly headed toward the Big East, I don't see C-USA booting anyone.

Is there something I'm missing here?
Thanks
Buddha
All-American

Postby Nacho » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:55 pm

My point about Houston is that C-USA is not doing them any good. They might benefit by being in a conference that allows them to play a more regional schedule and thereby cut expenses (if the WAC goes to 2, 6 team divisions). All that so-called bowl revenue from C-USA is losing them several million a year.

Admittedly Houston is a gamble but Tulane and UAB are bigger gambles. TCU may go to the MWC. UNT may be a safer bet than anyone except Southern Miss.

If C-USA loses 3 schools I can't see the benefit of joining that conference.
Nacho

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:11 pm

I agree that CUSA could turn out to be a huge gamble. If the Big East Alliance goes with 18 schools and invites Louisville, Cincy, Memphis & S.Fla and with the uncertainty at Tulane & UAB, why join what's left? That would mean So Miss and ECU, two quality football programs, are positioned to be hurt the most. If TCU & Houston bail on them, those two are suddenly hoping they can find 6 schools to play with in order to have a I-A conference. They'd be begging Army & Navy to join and would be looking at Troy St, Midd Tenn & C. Fla to give them numbers in the event Tulane or UAB drops out.

Yes, there are LOTS of possibilities out there but everyone will follow the ACC/Big East lead. It will be interesting to see if Notre Dame will work with the Big East to save their football credibility...and then whether the Big 10 and PAC 10 will conclude the 12 school conference is the way you have to go to remain "high profile".

At this point, I will be really disappointed if Miami decides to stay in the Big East.
Charleston Pony

Postby Buddha » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:16 pm

If TCU goes to the Mountain West, as Nacho suggests is a possibility, wouldn't the pre-existing bowl and TV contracts stay in place with C-USA? Meaning if some teams bolt, wouldn't any new teams that replace them in the conference get the benefit of the previously-negotiated financial packages?h
Buddha
All-American

Return to Football