PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Article-Miami may trigger Sun Belt shift

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Article-Miami may trigger Sun Belt shift

Postby Eddie P » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:19 pm

MeanGreenGem-

I'm sure you could come up with 100 things more annoying. Your presence is annoying enough so you really don't have to, if that's okay with you.

And as far as lurking...please define lurking. I don't go through great pains to hide myself on either board (there are only two, to my knowledge) relating to SMU athletics. If you are insinuating I have been on UNT sports boards, well, I can assure you that's not the case. I have never visited a UNT sports board and I doubt I will anytime in the near future. There's just not anything of interest there for me.

Here's a little "gem" for you:

Why don't you worry about what is going to happen to your school and conference; believe it or not, our fates are not as intertwined as much as you would like to believe. But again, we'll just see won't we??

Postby MeanGreenGem » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:37 pm

I don't think our fates have ever been intertwined as you suggests and it is just as well that they probably aren't.

Your presence on your own school's board is I would wager as annoying to some of your own fellow alums as it to other visitors (of which you are showing few social graces and skills of someone who went to a school such as SMU; that is, if you really did go to SMU).

In my profession, I've work with many who attended SMU and in decades of doing so have never run into one with your attitude. But for you to act like UNT is not a Metroplex presence tells me that you are in denial in several areas. You are like a Methodist living in Vatican City denying there are any Catholics around this place and if there were, they would have absolutely no influence whatsoever.

Private schools VS public schools will always be apples and oranges but it appears to me that most upon their college educations at whatever kind of school the graduate get their true educaton in the school of hard knocks, ie, the work place where no one thinks (or cares) Eddie P, that you went to SMU OR would care that you have an obvious personal attitude toward UNT. (They might see that as a personality flaw matter of fact).

Does some of your attitude have to do with the fact that perhaps there is a local DFW area football team getting some pre-season acclaim, some decent power ratings/rankings for a non BCS program and even has a consensus 1'st team All American on that team at a time in NCAA D1-A history when few (if any) non BCS schools have such an honor?

UNT is simply a big, growing public university that is very diverse--we have diversity of race, religious backgrounds and socio-economic backgrounds as well. We have lower, middle and upper income types who attend our school, you know, sort of a microcosm of what you see when you step out your front door and into the real world every day.

But no, I am not going to get into a "my daddy is better than your daddy" argument Eddie P because I would be lowering myself to the level of such who have that nature & history of being confrontational about subjects of a most trivial nature that one might encounter on a simple college smack board.

And if you haven't visited GoMeanGreen.com, that is your own personal loss and tells me you are still unaccepting of the realities of this very region of Texas from which you apparently received your college education. Now my question to you is, where did you keep reading the quote about "this not our grandfather's UNT"? Don't worry, we wouldn't tell anyone if you did happen to lurk over at another college smack board "other" than the 2 SMU has! You do need to get more looking and posting on the other SMU board as their posters seems to be giving up the ghost on it. -- <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Eddie P:
<B>MeanGreenGem-

I'm sure you could come up with 100 things more annoying. Your presence is annoying enough so you really don't have to, if that's okay with you.

And as far as lurking...please define lurking. I don't go through great pains to hide myself on either board (there are only two, to my knowledge) relating to SMU athletics. If you are insinuating I have been on UNT sports boards, well, I can assure you that's not the case. I have never visited a UNT sports board and I doubt I will anytime in the near future. There's just not anything of interest there for me.

Here's a little "gem" for you:

Why don't you worry about what is going to happen to your school and conference; believe it or not, our fates are not as intertwined as much as you would like to believe. But again, we'll just see won't we??</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 06-02-2003).]

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 06-02-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:28 pm

quite frankly if NTSU ever did really decide to build a strong athletic program there would be little doubt that NTSU would be a player in any Division 1A scenario. Its up to NTSU. There aren't too many schools the size of NTSU(30,000?) that have achieved less and NTSU has no one but themselves to blame for the lack of alumni support, funding and athletic facilities. Build a Division 1A Football facility and create some semblance of alumni support and NTSU has a bright future. SMU really is irrelevant to NTSU's future-your problems lie in the apathy of a huge alumni base.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MeanGreenGem » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:27 pm

You are right, UNT has mostly been its own worst enemy, but let me tell you what is different now than the last 30 years I've followed this roller coaster ride. We for probably the first time in our 113 year history have a Chancellor, President, Board of Regents and AD who are "ALL" on the same page as far as their desires to elevate UNT athletics. In fact, they have (basically) all put their professional reputations on the line with what they are wanting to build in a series of athletic facilities on UNT's windfall of 160 acres that used to be our golf course (adjacent to the present Radisson Hotel complex.

I tell you what, Stallion, we will leave our past behind if yall will do the same. Is that a deal? What can any of us draw from our past in the present day non-BCS anyway? Golden athletic memories and a buck may get you a cup of coffee, because it sure won't get anyone who is in the non BCS into the BCS.

Death Penalty? Let me tell you what a real DP is all about; that is UNT spending 13 years at D-1AA level losing a generation of fans who had previously followed a program that had once beat your school's Ron Meyer's led team, a fine SEC Tennessee Volunteer football team, the University of Houston Cougars (the year before they entered the SWC and went to the Cotton Bowl), Oklahoma State, Mississippi State, Memphis, Louisville, a Top 20 Air (Don) Coryell led San Diego State Aztec team AND almost beat DKR's Earl Campbell led UT Horns, etc, etc, etc, THEN COMES THE GRIM REAPER: Leaving all that behind for 13 years in NCAA 1-AA is what a real Death Penalty is about. SMU just took a 2 year sabbatical from college football with your DP and then started over again, although you all have not had many wins since; BUT UNT has had only 2 winning years out of the last 12 seasons, so we aren't exactyl old hands at it (and we are still trying to recover fans from our 13 year Death Penalty).

YOU SAY, UH, APATHY? Yeah, all 16-17,000 Mean Green fans who traveled to the New Orleans Bowl seemed pretty darn apathetic to me. I have a recently purchases 2003 Mean Green football highlights DVD that really shows much apathy thru the entire season; especially that season ending apathetic crowd at Fouts Field last November of 22,000 real live fans that sounded like 50,000 on the DVD audio. I never knew that only 22,000 could be so loud. We've had right at 30,000 at Fouts before all the winning began that sounded like you were in your Perkins Chapel for a religious service or something.

Do take it easy on our old venerable Fouts Field now, TCU fans even asked us what was our problem was with Fouts (because they had none) when they came to Denton 2 years ago. Its mostly our posters who dis Fouts more than anyone which makes it sound like the worst D1-A venue in college sports, trust me, it isn't the worst. In fact, when its almost full, it looks pretty darn impressive. We Greenbackers just want a new stadium (and I am sure you all can relate to that). After all, we have played yall in Ownby a few years ago so I know you can relate).

Stallion, I tell you what, come out to the Mean Green 2003 season home opener this September if you really want to see apathy at its heights. Try to get a seat in the student section if you can find one. Our 2003 frosh class will be another record setting class and don't we all get most our new and enthusiastic fans from our freshmen classes? You will see that the alumnus side will be almost full as well.

NTSU? Your fellow SMU alum Governor Bill Clements signed the bill making it UNT almost 2 decades ago now. As said on another post, your late philanthropist, Robert Dedman, made the suggestion to a former UNT Chancellor that it change its name from NTSU to UNT. So, if those 2 very high profile SMU types can handle and work with that name change and especially with the heights they attained at SMU, surely you can do the same? (NTSU is what is on my degree so I really don't mind it so much).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> quite frankly if NTSU ever did really decide to build a strong athletic program there would be little doubt that NTSU would be a player in any Division 1A scenario. Its up to NTSU. There aren't too many schools the size of NTSU(30,000?) that have achieved less and NTSU has no one but themselves to blame for the lack of alumni support, funding and athletic facilities. Build a Division 1A Football facility and create some semblance of alumni support and NTSU has a bright future. SMU really is irrelevant to NTSU's future-your problems lie in the apathy of a huge alumni base.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 06-03-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:37 pm

MeanGrueneJewel-

Dude, you are so not fun. Did your dog have an accident in the house? Mine didn't because my dog, him being a dog owned by an SMU person, is far superior to your dog. They ran some tests over at John Hopkins where they tested SMU-owned dogs and UNT-owned dogs. The results were facinating:

Characteristics of SMU-owned canines-

Friendly (But lack manners to strange and/or stupid people i.e. lack of social graces)

Smart (One dog answered 27 of 40 questions correctly on a quiz about King Lear. A UNT student was used as the control...he got 10 questions right. When told he was going to be quizzed on King Lear, he responded with a southern drawl-laden, "King Wheeew?"

Dependable

Sense of Humor

Extremely Sexy (SMU-owned canines attracted more interest from canines of the opposite sex than 97.43% of all canines tested.)

Characteristics of UNT-owned canines:

Anhedonic (Probably because of a strange need to compare themselves with others to find self-worth. One dog was spotted listening to self-help tapes.)

Unhip (One dog claimed his best friend at home was a Pet Rock and that he couldn't stop humming Karen Carpenter songs.)

** Special Note**
We are not entirely sure this is the fault of the canine or his owner. Further tests are pending.

Mildly delusional (One dog thought he was a pigeon and jumped off the third floor balcony. Fortunately, he survived by landing on his owner's convertible Fiero. Another dog tried to get it on with an ostrich... more on that later.)

Overly Sensitive (All of the dogs had to be put in sensory deprivation chambers to sleep)

Homely (Those dogs got NO love from other canines, or pretty much any other species at the same facility. There is fear they may not procreate enough to survive the next big shift in "eco-conferences.")

In conclusion, it is safe to say that my dog is both bigger and better than yours.

MeanGreen, your new name is Gollum.

Gollum, he who laughs last, laughs loudest. But that doesn't mean I'm not laughing at you right now as well.

P.S. You're right. I've never even set foot on the SMU campus. I got my undergrad degree at Harvard and then did the Wharton thing for my masters. I have no connection with SMU whatsoever. Thank you for allowing me to shed the lie that is my life on this webpage!!! <Tears>

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:13 am

Never mind your dog, but you need to meet UNT's real junk yard dog, namely, consensus 2003 pre-season All American Brandon BOOGER Kennedy? A 5'10" Mean Green DL who can dunk a basketball that UT Coach Mack Brown even called an All American in the 2002 season. Amazing how word gets around even in those far out outposts college towns like Denton, Texas. No, OUR dog is bigger than YOUR dog; and probably a helluva' lot better!
Haaaaavud' U, eh?

Comparison to show worthiness you say? No, we are just trying to get the point across that an SMU/UNT game would be a crowd drawing game that would bring more fans to Gerald D. Ford Stadium than all of SMU's WAC East school's fans combined. How can we know that? Because no SMU/UNT game in modern times has ever drawn less than 22,000 fans, that is how, but aren't these college smack board basically for the purpose of such friendly banter and discussion.

No one from UNT hates SMU is just that we feel some (not all) of their grads/fans post-SWC split thinking is not always very realistic.

In conclusion, it is safe to say that my dog is both bigger and better than yours.
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:13 am

You note the our UNT friend did not answer the two questions I posed. (1) New stadium? (2) Taking non-qualifiers. Would UNT join a conference in which they pledged to build a new stadium by 2006? Would they agree not to take non-qualifiers? Unless the answer to both those questions is yes, I don't want them in my conference. And by the way before you answer keep in mind that your "Booger" was a non-qualifier. What would your defense be like without him?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby untgrad88 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:14 am

Tell you what, for those of you who still like to call the University of North Texas, NTSU, how 'bout I just start calling SMU that "former Southwest Conference" school?
untgrad88
Recruit

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:32 am

I guess you follow North Texas much closer than I do because I was unaware that Booger Kennedy was a non qualifier. If he had been, why did he not sit out his freshmen year yet played in most every game? Maybe I'm not hip on the latest NCAA rules or something.

You are telling me that the WAC does not take non qualifiers? I find that very hard to believe and expecially for a conference that has some of the schools it has as its members. Are you sure about that?

UNT's Fouts Field will suffice until we get a new stadium. TCU fans wondered and posted what UNT's real problem was with Fouts because they didn't see a stadium held together by termites all holding hands or bubble gum needed to shore up some bad places.

Fouts has a track inside it that takes the fans too far from the playing, although no further away from the field of action than say at a huge NCAA D1-A football stadium. We want Fouts replaced just like yall wanted Ownby replaced so I think you can relate?

A defense without Booger Kennedy? Well, we have defensive end Adrian Awassom (who one UNT coach who coached Mean Joe Greene compares to Joe's teammate, Cedric Hardman, who left UNT for an All Pro career with the 49'ers )and some who think Awassom will be drafted high in the NFL; Dickey recruited what some recruiting gurus said was the best JUCO defensive tackle last Spring and that is JUCO All American Michael Pruitt (who will be Booger's bookend) AND we have a Booger clone and that is Kurk Frances who played his HS ball at Mesquite HS.

Does that sort of answer your question on how UNT would do without Booger Kennedy? M <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EastStang:
<B>You note the our UNT friend did not answer the two questions I posed. (1) New stadium? (2) Taking non-qualifiers. Would UNT join a conference in which they pledged to build a new stadium by 2006? Would they agree not to take non-qualifiers? Unless the answer to both those questions is yes, I don't want them in my conference. And by the way before you answer keep in mind that your "Booger" was a non-qualifier. What would your defense be like without him?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football