PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How good is this quarterback

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How good is this quarterback

Postby ALL4SMU » Tue Sep 12, 2000 4:43 pm

How good is this Rivers guy, the quarterback for N.C. State? I heard somewhere that he is leading the nation total offense per game? That sounds a little scary! Anyone know anything about him?
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: How good is this quarterback

Postby Horseshoe » Tue Sep 12, 2000 4:56 pm

According to the N.C. State preview on PonyFans.com, he sounds like a stud. Plus, I watched the N.C.State/Indiana game, and he looked awfully good. Big guy, big arm, decent wheels. Can throw it a mile. I read somewhere (I assume it was on PonyFans.com) that he's averaging 399 passing yards and four passing touchdowns per game. Watch out, secondary!
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby TheRealWolfpacker » Wed Sep 13, 2000 2:31 am

He's awesome. That's all that needs to be said.
TheRealWolfpacker

Postby dot dot » Wed Sep 13, 2000 2:40 am

18 year old true freshman. This time last year he was playing high school ball in Athens, Alabama on his way to becoming the Alabama high school football Player of the Year.

After two games (Arkansas State and Indiana), he is: 60-109, 798 YDs, 8 TDs, 1 INT. He led the Wolfpack to come from behind victories in each of his first two games, including the Arkansas State game in a monsoon.
dot dot

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:35 am

Thanks for the input, dot dot...I have heard he is a stud. If he is this good as a true freshman, I can only imagine how good he will be...

What was N.C. State's record last year..How do you think you guys will do this year?
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby PackAttack » Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:48 am

<A HREF="http://www.ncaa.org/stats/new%20football/national%20rankings/IA_playertotoff.html" TARGET=_blank>We think he does okay</A>
PackAttack

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:05 am

Works for me! Wow, those are some incredible numbers! Not too shabby. I hope are defensive backs will bring their "A" game!
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby cottonwolf » Wed Sep 13, 2000 9:35 am

We were 6-6 last year. We beat Texas, South Carolina, William and Mary, Clemson, Duke and Maryland. Lost to FSU, Wake, Virginia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, and East Carolina.

<A HREF="http://www.gopack.com/fbo/fbc/1999/schedule.html" TARGET=_blank>link</A>

[This message has been edited by cottonwolf (edited 09-13-2000).]
cottonwolf

Postby ncsu_guy » Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:08 pm

Phillip Rivers was player of the year in Alabama as a senior. He graduated from high school early (mid-year) and enrolled at NCSU in the spring so he could participate in spring practice. That's when he won the starting job.

By far most of the passes have been short, but Rivers looked pretty good on the few deep balls he threw last week.

I think a big part of his reason for coming to NCSU was the hiring of Norm Chow as offensive coordinator / qb coach. Chow had that role at BYU where he coached some of the top-rated quarterbacks in NCAA history (I think I read that 6 of the top 10 passing efficiency leaders in history were coached by Chow).
ncsu_guy

Postby THE ROCK » Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:12 pm

It is amazing the effect graduating early has for the kids. When an athlete does this, he is given such great oppurtunity to learn and adjust to the college game. It makes him so far ahead of all the other freshman. That is great (for y'all) that he did that. Hopefully our cornerbacks will make him look not so special, but it sure sounds like it is going to be very, very difficult.
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN'?
THE ROCK
Scout Team

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:35 pm

One thing that helps Rivers (other than his rifle scope eye and arm) is that the 'Pack also has some VERY good receivers. Rivers has the luxury of mixing it up w/ the 3 or 4 classic wide-outs, a tight end that sucks in footballs like a vaccuum, and surehanded backs out of the backfield.

Plus, our pass protection has been very good thusfar.

However, the 'Pack doesnt have the luxury of taking SMU lightly. I am sure the 'stangs will be hitting Raleigh to make some noise.

-Wolf
Wolf

Postby Wolf Paw » Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:26 pm

Rock:

Another poit regarding graduating early from HS and entering college in the spring semester, this usually happens only with academically talented students, and that intelligence shows up on the football field as well as in the classroom.

An interesting bit of trivia on Rivers: He threw his first interception on his 100th. pass.

[This message has been edited by Wolf Paw (edited 09-13-2000).]
\"Who is John Galt?\" Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Wolf Paw

Postby ponyjim » Wed Sep 13, 2000 5:36 pm

he was good enough to find a receiver downfield and split two defensive backs for the game winning touchdown with 1:28 left in the fourth to win the game last weekend
Go Ponies!
ponyjim
Scout Team

Postby DarkRed » Wed Sep 13, 2000 6:17 pm

the big ? will be how our D plays this game. Good Luck to SMU and here is to an injury free game. Image By the way I hope FSU puts 72 up on the Tarholes! Go PacK!
DarkRed

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed Sep 13, 2000 7:32 pm

I second that! Here's to a tarheel's loss!
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Next

Return to Football