PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How good is this quarterback

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How good is this quarterback

Postby Wolfen91 » Thu Sep 14, 2000 11:49 am

Hey, guys. I think that we NCSU fans are a little exuberant about our man Philip Rivers.

He's had a great start for a freshman but geez. He's only played two games. Plus, let's face it. The competition hasn't been as good as what SMU has played.

He'll have a bad game at some time. We'll see how things go for him then.

At any rate, look for Philip to put the ball in the air on the order of 50 times against the Mustangs. It'll be a little more if we're behind and a little less if we're ahead and can get the running game going.

I swear, though. I think our OC would call a pass if we were getting 9 yds per rush.

It's fun to watch when it works, though.

Take care and good luck this weekend.

-W
Wolfen91

Postby ALL4SMU » Thu Sep 14, 2000 5:33 pm

It is indeed fun to watch. It kind of reminds me of the old Houston Cougars Run-and-shoot offense. I don't mean formations, but simple the fact that 3 and inches and they want to throw the ball. Like you said, "it is great when it works".

Of course every player will have his bad days. And he is just a freshman, so he will have his share. It is just the way things go. I know Arkansas State is not that good, but how good was Indiana. I know they have a great QB, but I don't know much else about them.

Anyway, hopefully we can give Rivers a better look and he will have a bad day! I think we will need that to win.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Sep 14, 2000 7:17 pm

From what I hear, Rivers is a young clone of Chris Weinke. I'd take him in a minute.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football