PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Your Favorite Football Stadium?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Your Favorite Football Stadium?

Postby methodistmustang » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:01 pm

The best Stadium in Texas is probably Kyle Field followed very closely by the Sun Bowl. The Houston Stadium looks great on T.V. but I haven't been there.
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:47 pm

If you want to 'virtually' experience these stadiums, get a copy of the PlayStation2 game, NCAA 2003, by Sega Sports. You can have SMU play a game at ANY Div. 1-A school stadium in the country...and WIN (if you're good enough to beat the computer)!!!!!!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby exbearkat » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:12 pm

This is a little "off" the subject, but, hands down, the best stadium "atmosphere" that I have EVER experienced is Washington/Griz stadium on the campus of The University of Montana in Missoula.

BTW: Before you guys start throwing flames, consider this: I have been to all of the following on numerous occasions...

Kyle Field
Memorial Stadium
LSU
Rice and UH
Tennessee
exbearkat

Postby MeanGreenGem » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:43 pm

Actually, on PlayStation2, the SMU/UNT game is played on a non-disclosed Metroplex Safeway grocery store parking lot!

I've played it on my own PS2 and you'd never guess who scores the first TD once you get both teams out of the raw meat market and onto the parking lot!

Matt Simon (now of the Baltimore Ravens) is the honorary pre-game coin tosser but his toss of the coin falls into a gridded drain hole so then they just have mass fraternities from both schools perform the world's longest roped tug'o' war with muddy pool in the middle for the loser. (Bet yall didn't know how creative the graphics folks at PlayStation 2 could be, now did you)? Image

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B>If you want to 'virtually' experience these stadiums, get a copy of the PlayStation2 game, NCAA 2003, by Sega Sports. You can have SMU play a game at ANY Div. 1-A school stadium in the country...and WIN (if you're good enough to beat the computer)!!!!!!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 06-05-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:52 pm

MeanGreenGem: You're a funny guy! You're crackin' me up!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby leadpony » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:11 pm

Ben Hill Griffin "The Swamp" at the University of Florida is by far the best stadium anywhere on the planet. And it is being expanded.
leadpony
Recruit

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:43 am

Ah you beat me to it. I absolutely agree that Ben Hill Griffin Stadium is the best stadium. I've been to Kyle Field, Memorial, etc. I've been to every Florida stadium as well... I've been to Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama...most of the SEC stadiums. The Swamp is just such an unbelievably perfect college football atmosphere. And it's LOUD. It's an experience for sure. I'm looking forward to making the trips to Gainesville this fall yet again !

Just look at this.. and this is before expanision.

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 06-07-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:26 am

My brother taught at the University of washington and while I never attended a game there, the views from Husky Stadium are tough to beat.

<A HREF="http://gohuskies.ocsn.com/facilities/wash-husky-stadium.html" TARGET=_blank>http://gohuskies.ocsn.com/facilities/wash-husky-stadium.html</A>
Charleston Pony

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:05 am

Scenic, but it's not 90,000 people screaming their insides out Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby No Cal Pony » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:55 pm

I wondered when someone would mention Benny Hill Griffin. My wife is a big uf fan and alum. However, even she dosn't like the place so much anymore. Too big, too nasty unless you've had way too much to drink.

Me, I'll take a place with more character over the behemoth. Husky Stadium, cal's Memorial Stadium, Stanford Stadium (which had their biggest crowd in 1935, the year they beat SMU in the Rose Bowl), but especially our own Ford.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby leadpony » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:55 pm

that is simply not true. you just have to know where to sit.
florida fans are like no other in the nation. i have never seen a group of people like the gator naton. they are just passionate, and possibly a litttle tipsy. however the exact reasons why you do not like the swamp anymore are the reasons that it is the best staduim in the country. if the ponies could attract even 1000 fans that cheer with the vigor that gator fans do, then ford stadium would be a very different place.
leadpony
Recruit

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:47 pm

Amen, leadpony. It's a nasty place to play if you're the visiting team. The student section is ruthless. I love it Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Rosebud » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:24 pm

Put me down for a vote for Tennessee. That place is incredible, and when the fans all head down to the river to party with the Volunteer Navy, jumping from boat to boat, it's like Mardi Gras. How nobody has drowned is beyond me.
Rosebud
Recruit

Previous

Return to Football