PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Your Favorite Football Stadium?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Your Favorite Football Stadium?

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:38 pm

Here's another informal poll to break up the summertime heat: Besides Ford Stadium (which we all know is the BEST stadium to play football in!), what is your other favorite stadium to see the Mustangs play in when 'on the road'? And feel free to dig back into your memories for this, too! Lots of history to draw from...! GO MUSTANGS! STAMPEDE!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Your Favorite Football Stadium?

Postby SMU Blue » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:50 pm

I hate to bring up another Longhorn reference, but I will Image

I have always been partial to Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium...

I wish Ford Stadium would keep the real grass like the guys down in Austin. But it appears that I lost on that arguement.
SMU Blue
Recruit

Postby EastStang » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:51 pm

I always used to like to go to Austin. Huge crowd for the game, lots of pomp, and show. Pretty impressive, and the New Braunfels Octoberfest was usually the same weekend. After that probably Little Rock for the crazy Arkansas fans calling out the Hogs. Tulane always fun because its in New Orleans. Penn State also is a finalist. Their tailgating makes us look like pikers. I was offered more beer on the way into the stadium than any where I have ever gone. Worst, A&M, TT, Rice, UH, U.Va. and of course TCU. I would add a nice place to catch a game is William & Mary. A tiny stadium (only 13,500). Close to the action and we had no trouble smuggling in flasks.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:01 pm

Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor. Home of 107,000+ drunken lunatics. So impressive, I was almost willing to freeze my tail off there for 5 years.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Blue » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:02 pm

Another stadium that I had the opportunity to visit is Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, home of the Crimson Tide. I would like to see SMU play there someday.

Good stadium on a nice campus, and the ladies aren't bad to look at either.

SMU Blue
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:01 pm

I know you guys are going to think I'm crazy but the Sight-lines at Baylor's Floyd Casey Field are perhaps the best I've seen. I loved SMU-Baylor series which was the most entertaining in the SWC from 1976-1986. Some great afternoons of football were spent watching those games. We need a BIG Roadtrip for that game this year as it is the KEY game if we are going to make a run at a winning season this year and get rid of our September Hex. Check it Out.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 06-03-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:00 pm

I'm with Stallion on this (that we need a stong showing in Waco this year). I like the smaller stadiums where every seat is a good one. I love Ford Stadium, but before that, I liked Duke's Wallace Wade, where the open end zone looks out over the Duke forest...a beautiful place on an autumn afternoon.

<A HREF="http://goduke.ocsn.com/facilities/wallace-wade.html" TARGET=_blank>http://goduke.ocsn.com/facilities/wallace-wade.html</A>
Charleston Pony

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:53 pm

uuummmmmmmmm......current capacity of Duke's stadium is 33,000........ummmmmm

& i remember reading newsclips about both them & wake drawing only 18K-25K during games...i think last yr or the yr before they drew about 20K something when florida state was visiting.....

& they're in a bcs-bs conference????? sounds like another free-ride to me!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:21 am

Can someone tell me how to 'post' a photo within my message on this board? I don't see any instructions anywhere...sorry, I'm pretty computer illiterate. Just need a little help from my fellow Mustangs. Thanks! Image

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby giacfsp » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:04 am

I've got four:

Tennessee: Place is unreal. Over 100,000 lunatics stagger in (many of whom ride to the game on boats up the river in Nashville, which leads to some insane boat-hopping postgame parties.) And there always are more people outside the stadium trying to get in. They scalp tickets at games against Vandy, and actually make money.

LSU: Nothing like it - 7PM game, and there are 90,000 on the campus and guzzling who knows what kind of liquor before most normal people are awake on a Saturday. Like breakfast time. By the time the afternoon rolls around, these Cajun Crazies are completely lit, and starting to get really loud.

Washington: The view over the end of the field (through the open end of the stadium) to the water (is that Puget Sound?) is absolutely breathtaking. And when there's snow on the mountains in the background... wow.

North Carolina: Arguably the most intimate stadium in America. The coolest thing about the place is that you can't find it. When you walk across campus to the game, the trees around the stadium are so tall and so thick that you really almost can't see the stadium until you walk in. And when you're inside, you feel insulated against the outside world. It's almost like they're playing an indoor game on real grass.

Of course, Ford Stadium remains the finest anywhere. UT's stadium is awful. As much as I hate to admit it, A&M's is a pretty cool place to watch a game. And not to deter anyone from making a roadtrip this season, but Baylor's stadium is as bad as everything else about that school and town.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Fresh » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:14 am

Can someone help me out here by posting instructions FOR A MACINTOSH on how to drop pictures into a post?
Thanks
Fresh
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:24 am

Fresh: you have to download onto a server. create a url. Mustangs35SMU helped me out with the same problem last night with my Mac to help me put up my photo on the 'favorite memories' thread.

------------------
MrMustang1965

Postby ponyte » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:24 am

A few other possibilities come to mind.

#1 Notre Dame Great crowd and always packed. Steep in tradition and we have beat them there (50s) I could do without that funny little guy with the goofy green hat running around though.
#2 Ohio State The crowd is right up to the bench area. The crowd hates the visiting team and there is nothing like beating or tying them there (50s and 70s)
#3 Rice Stadium I know they don't win and there isn't much partying but there isn't a bad seat in that stadium. It was truly advanced before its time and is still a great place to watch a game.

Then there are the worse stadiums.
#1 Little Rock's War Memorial Not a good seat in the entire stadium and half the crowd is wearing overalls thinking that is the height of Arkie fashion
#2 Amon Carter Crummy crowd in a crummy stadium.
#3 Superdome Forget Bourbon Street. It is hard to get to the stadium, parking stinks and the seats are pathetic.
ponyte

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:35 am

In Texas: Sun Bowl in El Paso--can't beat the location in the valley of the mountains.
Nacho

Postby giacfsp » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:39 am

Forgot about UTEP. Great stadium, and the view is amazing.
giacfsp
Heisman

Next

Return to Football