PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who should I be looking for...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who should I be looking for...

Postby TheRealWolfpacker » Wed Sep 13, 2000 2:49 am

Saturday night? I'm going to be at the game sitting on the sideline.

Who are your big playmakers?

Ours would be as follows:

<B>Offense</B>
#17 QB P. Rivers
#3 WR K. Robinson (ACC ROY 1999)
#5 RB R. Robinson (ACC ROY 1998)
#10 WR E. Leak
#80 TE W. Wright

<B>Defense</B>
#44 LB L. Fisher
#45 LB D. Burnette
#1 C/S A. Wilson

<B>Special Teams</B>
#9 Terrance Holt (Torry Holt's younger brother)
#3 PR K. Robinson (the receiver Image)

I'd love to hear some info about your team. I'll check here tomorrow morning before class and see if you guys have some for me. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by TheRealWolfpacker (edited 09-13-2000).]
TheRealWolfpacker

Re: Who should I be looking for...

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:46 am

Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

I would say what you can expect from SMU is you don't know what to expect. We are either hot or cold. I think coach Cavan is a great coach, but he has a been a very slow starter in his time here at SMU. We usually tend to pick up steam later in the season. I have no idea why, that is just the way it has been. We were thrilled when we beat Kansas, I must admit, I was not expecting to beat Kansas. Then I figured we would be able to beat UTEP, but we played awful and they kicked our butts.

[b]KEY PLAYERS
Josh McCown- Josh can be a very good and very dangerous quarterback at times. Other times, he seems to be unable to hit the broadside of a barn. Last week he put up very, very impressive numbers, but in actuality he did not look that great. The week before he was outstanding. He is tall, strong, and with good mobility and a strong arm. His major weakness is he seems to get confused a lot and lose control.

Chris Cunningham- This guy is a total stud. He was commited to Texas A&M out of high school before changing to SMU. The guy is not very big, but he has tremendous heart and even greater speed. He has great hands. His number is 21 and they call him the comet! He poses the biggest play making threat on the offense. He also returns punts and kickoffs.

DEFENSE-

55, MLB, VIC VILORIA- Vic is a total stud. He is only about 5'11'', but he is a vicous hitter and is very smart. Always seems to find the ball. As a freshman(true) he broke his legs in the preseason. He missed 7 games, the came back and started, and made something like 47 tackles in 4 games. Last year he had to sit out because of academic issues. PonyFans.com did an interview with him. I am not sure of the link, but click on journals on the left side of the page and it will take you there.

Kevin Alldridge and Marcus Pratt- Both very good DEs.

Chase Schavrda- Quick, athletic defensive tackle.. Not very big, but strong as hell and like I said, very fast

That is all I can think of. I am sure others will chime in with their two cents.

Sorry if i made any spelling mistakes. I am tired as hell!
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:07 am

Also, you might want to check the preview these guys do. It is pretty good, and it might provide some insight into what we think we need to do in order to win the game!
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby Corso » Wed Sep 13, 2000 10:37 am

Not so fast my friends!

The secondary is young, but CB Kevin Garrett is a stud. Very fast, with good instincts. Safeties (Leroy Price and Matt Rushbrook) are promising but VERY young.

Two inside LB's -- Corey Riley and Devonric Johnson -- get very little pub, but continue to make play after play after play. Very underrated.

And on offense, TB Kris Briggs and WR Johnnie Freeman have the ability to break open a game, in the right situation. But All4SMU is right: it starts and ends with what kind of day Josh McCown has. If he's "on" SMU can be tough to beat. If not, NCState wins going away.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Return to Football