PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Here's the e-mail addresses for the SENATE ...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Here's the e-mail addresses for the SENATE ...

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:20 pm

& HOUSE members:

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/1411/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/1411/</A>

Orin Hatch will 'maybe' start some hearings on this mess of a bcs-bs cartel.

i just sent my e-mail today!

Senator Sets Sights On NCAA
Panel Might Look At Big East's Woes

June 5, 2003
By DAVID LIGHTMAN, Washington Bureau Chief

WASHINGTON -- The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he would like to hold hearings examining different aspects of how college athletics operates, including the Atlantic Coast Conference's pursuit of three Big East schools.

"I've been thinking about it. I have questions about how the NCAA is being run," said Sen. Orrin G. Hatch, R-Utah, Tuesday. "It's a well-heeled outfit, but I'm not sure it's always acting in the best interests of athletes."

NCAA president Myles Brand fired back, saying Congress had no business getting involved in the conference's controversy.

"Conference alignment is an institutional issue," Brand said. "There is no authority for this office or for the NCAA to intervene into conference membership issues.

"To my knowledge, even Congress could not grant the NCAA that authority. Only the conferences as a group could authorize such intervention, and they have not done so."

On the other hand, Brand said, he would be "happy to make myself available to conference members for mediations that would be helpful."

Hatch's comments came in response to a question by The Courant about whether he plans to pursue action after nine senators - three Republicans and six Democrats - sent a letter last week to the three Big East college presidents.

The letter, a strongly worded statement from some of the Senate's most influential figures, appeals to the presidents of the University of Miami, Boston College and Syracuse to adhere to the "standards of fairness and equity" the NCAA stands for.

Hatch, who years ago complained that Brigham Young University seemed to be unfairly shut out of a chance to compete for the NCAA football championship, has long been at odds with the NCAA.

His 19-member committee deals with a variety of issues involving college athletics, notably Title IX and gambling on college football. Hatch is the committee's ranking Republican.

If he called new hearings, Hatch said, "we would want to look at issues of fairness and equal treatment." Asked what jurisdiction he might have over college athletics' movement from conference to conference, he said, "interstate commerce ... There are 101 ways we can bring 'em in."

He offered no timetable, but quick hearings are unlikely, because Congress is scheduled to be in session for only 61/2 weeks before Labor Day.

It's also unlikely that anyone would push legislation to restrict the NCAA or individual colleges. Lawmakers rarely get involved in that level of detail, and as Hatch put it, "It would be tough. The leaders of the NCAA jealously guard control of their power."

What hearings would do, though, is call more media attention to the Big East-ACC controversy. The judiciary committee is familiar with hearings that attract lots of media and lots of controversy - it was the venue for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas' 1991 confirmation hearings involving accuser Anita Hill - and any action would certainly draw the hundreds of media who cover Washington every day.

[This message has been edited by Navy&Crimson (edited 06-05-2003).]

BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Re: Here's the e-mail addresses for the SENATE ...

Postby bubba pony » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:22 pm

pretty old list. they have

Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan as NY senator
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:27 pm

I'm confused - why is this on PonyFans.com? Are we supposed to lobby our senators for conference realignment?
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby OldPony » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:31 pm

Didn't Hillary just stop over at Daniel's for a cold one?
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Football