PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Team speed

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Johnnie Freeman

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon Mar 27, 2000 10:28 am

I am curious as to what you guys think about Johnnie Freeman playing wide-out. I personally welcome the idea. I feel that he has a lot of athleticism, and we need to have him in the game at some position whether it be WR or RB. If Kris Briggs is going to start at RB, then put him at WR and let him make some plays. It seems obvious to me that this guy is a playmaker. After all, his first rush as a college player went 60 yards for a touchdown. He averages something like 9 yards a carry last year. If he is as good as those stats indicate, he could become a great wide out for us.

Also, I am interested to see how good Marcus Carter is going to be. This kid seems to be the prototypical wr. He is tall, he is fast, and he has good hands. I cannot wait to see him develop.

I am very excited about next season's offense. We should have a pretty good passing game with <B>The Comet</B>, Carter, Cardwell, and Newsome?.

By the way, I cannot believe how good the comet is. I thank God every day that he came here. He is something really special, not only as an athlete but as a person.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK!

[This message has been edited by ALL4SMU (edited 03-27-2000).]
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: Johnnie Freeman

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 27, 2000 11:59 am

I agree with everything you say. Cannot wait for 09/02/00.

Postby blakep44 » Mon Mar 27, 2000 12:46 pm

I also agrre with everything you said. It is going to be extremely exciting to watch these guys play. Putting J Free at wide out doesn't bother me at all. He is a playmaker, and he will probably play several positions before he is through.
If at first you don't succeed, drink.
blakep44
Scout Team

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon Mar 27, 2000 2:43 pm

This kid needs to be in the game, regardless of where. He is a stud and it is guys like him that allow us to win games
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby Ponygrad » Mon Mar 27, 2000 5:51 pm

Remember that other Johnnie? Johnnie Rogers or Nebraska Heisman fame? That would be a great model.
GO PONIES!!!
Ponygrad

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 27, 2000 5:59 pm

This is our man in action!

I would love to see him burn some opposing defenders like this next fall!

You can check out all the pictures at <A HREF="http://www.ponyfans.com/photos/Mustang%20Football/practice%20photos.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ponyfans.com/photos/Mustang%20Football/practice%20photos.htm</A>

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!

[This message has been edited by PonyFanMan (edited 03-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by PonyFanMan (edited 04-05-2000).]

Postby ALL4SMU » Fri Mar 31, 2000 5:00 am

Those are great pics! I cannot wait to see him shine next fall! Do you guys think he will make it at WR. From your practice report, it sounds like you do!
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 31, 2000 12:34 pm

From what I saw yesterday, Freeman will not only make it at wideout, he could dominate. His speed is unbelievable. Combine that with ability to do some tough running after a catch and this guy is a star in the making. Will take some attention away from Comet who can then make some big plays.

Postby PonyPride » Mon Apr 03, 2000 6:14 pm

They hardly threw to Carter -- anyone know a reason? Is he banged up?

MustangMatt -- what's the deal on Newsome? Is he still on the team?
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUFan » Tue Apr 04, 2000 6:27 pm

I am so excited about this move. I think Johnie will make a great wide out. It has tremendous athletic ability. This guy is indeed a stud.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby jettison » Wed Apr 12, 2000 1:36 pm

Where was #5 last Saturday at the red/blue scrimmage? I like his speed and he looked like the 'neon' versatile athlete last year in the Superdome (I became a big fan then)... but he seems to have slight difficulty extending his arms and making plays on the long passes. Probably just a lack of experience at that position, but someone needs to teach him how to extend the arms!!
jettison
Junior Varsity

Team speed

Postby Red+BlueDude » Tue Apr 25, 2000 5:42 pm

Does anyone know who the fastest players are? Everyone claims to run a 4.4 40, but does anyone know REAL times? I assume Kevin Garrett and Johnnie Freeman are the fastest players, but I'm eager to learn if I'm wrong.

What about the fastest players at various positions? Here are my guesses for the fastest at several positions:

QB: McCown
RB: Pipkins
WR: Freeman, or maybe Cunnungham
TE: Steve O'Neill
OL: um ... James McCarthy?
DL: Kevin Aldridge
LB: Billy Jack Williams, or Justin Williams
CB: Kevin Aldridge
S: Leroy Price

How wrong am I?
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Re: Team speed

Postby Joyous » Tue Apr 25, 2000 5:50 pm

I hope you get some replies. I know one answer and it's definetily better than a 4.4. 40.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby Red+BlueDude » Tue Apr 25, 2000 7:03 pm

I knew Joyous would come through -- How fast is your son in the 40?
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2000 12:25 am

I don't know what his forty time is, but the kid can move!!!I am <B>so very glad</B> he is a mustang!

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!

Next

Return to Football