PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question for N.C. State fans

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Question for N.C. State fans

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:11 am

Just curious as to what you guys think of SMU. Do you think we will give you guys some competition or not. Always curious for the opponets point of view.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: Question for N.C. State fans

Postby cottonwolf » Wed Sep 13, 2000 8:54 am

We have had a history of winning big games like FSU, Syracuse, Texas etc. and then losing to lesser teams, so we have learned not to take anyone for granted. Most of the fans on our board do predict a Wolfpack win but many are worried that our defense may will allow SMU to score enough to keep it close. Its funny because we thought our defense was going to be good and were worried about offense prior to the season.
cottonwolf

Postby Pack Traveler » Wed Sep 13, 2000 9:35 am

I in all honesty don't know quite what to expect out of NC State or SMU come Saturday. Our defense has yet to slow anyone down and SMU has posted some pretty impressive offensive numbers in their two games this year. Does this mean another shootout Saturday night? Conventional wisdom would say yes, but there has been nothing conventional about our first two games.

When the schedule first came out I looked at SMU as a game that we should win. I still feel that is the case, but if it does turn into another scoreboard lighting display, then anything can happen. Hope some of you guys are gonna make the trip up to Raleigh. I think you will find that we have one of the best set-ups for tailgating anywhere in the country.
Pack Traveler

Postby ncsu_guy » Wed Sep 13, 2000 2:54 pm

I think most folks are hoping we can outscore you. We feel pretty good about our offense but have been disappointed so far by the defense. We've gotta get better on defense before playing teams like Clemson and Florida State or it's going to be really ugly.

I personally don't know much about SMU's team (I think I saw some national rankings that had you guys at #77 and us at #48--just by memory so I might be confused--but anyway you can't put too much faith in those kinds of things).

It will be NCSU's "parents day" game. In addition it is the marching band reunion so there will be a bunch of geezers on the field at halftime (including me ;-> ). I'm really looking forward to the game.
ncsu_guy

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ALL4SMU:
<B>Just curious as to what you guys think of SMU. Do you think we will give you guys some competition or not. Always curious for the opponets point of view.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 'Pack is still in the laboratory stage. Our offense has clicked like nobody's business, and our defense has had a rough go of it. Oddly enough, our defense is due for a good showing. While the numbers in two games thus far do not show it, our D has some EXCELLENT talent and athletes. Our linebacking corps is one of the better ones in the ACC.

As far as SMU giving us competition, I am sure they will. I do know that SMU is 1-1 thusfar, but I am not familiar enough w/ the current talent to assess what horrors the Mustangs will pose to the Wolfpack. I do know from SMU's tradition, they should be competitive regardless of a record and the team is not to be taken lightly.

Here's wishing all the visitors from Texas a pleasant stay in Raleigh. In addition to the game, enjoy the Triangle.. it is a great place.

-Wolf

------------------
Wolf

Return to Football