PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BE Schools Sue . . . Now it gets Interesting

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: BE Schools Sue . . . Now it gets Interesting

Postby Nacho » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:58 pm

I guess we won't see any schools ever changing conferences to join the BE, since it could do irreperable harm to their former conference.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 93Mustang » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:22 pm

This lawsuit is completely frivilous. Each of the schools considering moving to the BE had the right to do so in their contract with the BE. They were not bound to stay in that conference forever. Moreover, there is no way any from the three schools ever told the rest of the league that would stay in the league forever or even past their contractual obligations. They will not get an injunction because damges, if any, will be quantifiable. Moreover, because their relationship was guided by a contract and for the reasons stated above that contract didn't have a perpetual term, the plaintiffs will not be able to establish "likelihood of success on the merits."

This case will go nowhere and is an embarassment to this dying league.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:57 pm

Cry me a river! It sounds like the Big East leftovers will argue Miami & B.C. entered into some type of oral contract that called for the other schools to enhance their facilities for the good of the conference (and benefit of Miami & B.C.) in exchange for Miami & B.C.'s commitment to staying with this same group indefinitely? Good luck. The only winners will be the army of lawyers the two sides employ to battle this thing out in what could be a high profile case. Don't you just love "amateur" athletics?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby No Cal Pony » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:37 pm

Amen to that CP. If there ever was a cover of "amateur athletics," this should have certainly taken that cover off. That state governments have agreed to pay vast sums of monies (all taxpayers) toward athletic facilities, says it all, IMHO. Shouldn't too people in those states be a bit up in arms over how much tax monies are being spent of items that favor so few? I know if I live in Conn., I'd be pissed.

Maybe it is time for the NCAA to sstand, or maybe it should just be ignored, since it seems that it is becoming more and more of a sham.

All this nonsense reminds me more and more why Doak was such a hero.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football