PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thrive on or reasonably close to the Hilltop

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thrive on or reasonably close to the Hilltop

Postby untgrad88 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:42 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LA_Mustang:
<B>Damn it CP, you bring up UNT every time in your little conference scenarios and get the UNT faithful all worked up. My god that is so frustrating. Why?
Its like being a guy in your later 20s and admitting that you used to always watch Zach, Kelly, Jessie (she was the hottest), and Screech on Saved by the Bell and that you liked it. Just keep it to yourself. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We don't need anyone to post anything about us to get us worked up....we have been worked up for a long time--since we started putting a decent team on the field. We have some MeanGreenies that are literally in hysteria. If we win the SBC and the NO bowl again, while actually beating Baylor and Air Force--we may have some folks end up in the mental hospital. If we by a miracle, we were to beat Arkansas and OU along the way, we may have to close the campus down.

[This message has been edited by untgrad88 (edited 06-10-2003).]
untgrad88
Recruit

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:11 pm

case in point.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Cheesesteak » Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:59 pm

Conversations (even if hypothetical) about a Gulf Coast Conference that would include SMU have me excited.

I'd make Dallas metro, Houston metro, east Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana 95% of our recruiting focus. Mustang fans could drive to TCU, Tulsa, Rice, Houston, La Tech., Tulane, USM and Memphis. Proximity among all conference members could result in intense long-term rivalries. Media attention within the GCC area would be better than it is now for the aforementioned schools (SMU-SJSU, Tulane-ECU, USM-Army - are all geographically senseless conference games). Season SMU GCC games with exciting OOC contests against TT, Baylor, OSU, KSU, Arkansas, Mississippi and even LSU and SMU football could thrive.

With SMU's academics, campus, coaching staff and location (all strengths) TCU fans would again live in fear!
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby MeanGreenGem » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:38 am

You are so right, untgrad88, its too late, we are already worked up and The Sporting News ranking the Mean Green #51 out of 117 D1-A football programs didn't do anything to cool us off, either. Multiple selections to pre-season All American teams for Brandon "Booger" Kennedy has only added fuel to the fire.

Now if UNT can just get into the right fit of the 2,876 conference re-alignment scenarios I've read on all these message board I'll feel even better.

Here's conference re-alignment scenario # 2,877>>>>What if we were in a conference with all schools that had "North" in their names? Northwestern, North Carolina, NC State, etc, etc, etc, (Of course, I jest)! Image

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by untgrad88:
<B> We don't need anyone to post anything about us to get us worked up....we have been worked up for a long time--since we started putting a decent team on the field. We have some MeanGreenies that are literally in hysteria. If we win the SBC and the NO bowl again, while actually beating Baylor and Air Force--we may have some folks end up in the mental hospital. If we by a miracle, we were to beat Arkansas and OU along the way, we may have to close the campus down.

[This message has been edited by untgrad88 (edited 06-10-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:36 pm

If UNT beats Arkansas or OU, I'll jump on your bandwagon. I'd love to see a healthy UNT-SMU rivalry. TCU has all but turned their backs on us. The bastards.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football