PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Porr BE

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Porr BE

Postby Nacho » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:33 am

I feel so sorry for the poor(not porr) the BE that I can hardly stand it. Must go off to cry now.

<A HREF="http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/</A>

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited 06-07-2003).]
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Porr BE

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:03 pm

The Big East's future is in Notre Dame's hands. Unless the Irish agree to the much talked about 4 game schedule with the remaining Big East teams, say good-bye to BCS numbers (in terms of football TV contracts). With Notre Dame and the addition of Marquette & Louisville (and possibly Cincy & Memphis), the Big East remains one of the top bball conferences and I would expect TV demand to remain strong.

The killer would be if all the BCS conferences decide to expand to 12 teams. Imagine Notre Dame & Pitt joining the Big 10, Iowa joining to Big XII to replace Colorado, who goes to the PAC-12 along with BYU. That would really make things interesting, and leave some very tough decisions for the remaining Big East football schools.
Charleston Pony

Postby Water Pony » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:47 pm

Roulette is fun with these realignments.

1. I agree ND and only ND can save the BCS stature of the BE by offering to play 4 conference games
2. Here is the Midwest, there are no signs that ND wants the Big Ten.
3. I don't think the Big Ten will expand, if the option is Pitt.
4. Iowa would never leave the Big Ten. This school faces East and has huge number of Illinois students, plus Minnesota is their nature rival.
5. Louisville is in BE no matter what happens.
6. Cincinnati and, perhaps Memphis, would be the only other candidates for BE
7. Conf. USA must spilt into two regions no matter what occurs (East and West)
8. Navy will end indepedence in FB and align with either BE or Conf. USA East.
9. WAC's only real hope for credibility is to grab Conf. USA West schools. If not, all those in Central Time zone must flee.
10. Mtn. West will expand. Their preference is Western schools in MT or PT, despite grabbing TCU and SMU being the smarter move. They could grab a Houston school but that is less likely.
11. PAC won't expand
12. NCAA will lose control of BCS FB schools more than they had already.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMUstang » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:19 pm

If the Big 10 does expand, they will go for Missouri. And Arkansas will replace them in the Big 12. Then the SEC will get Va Tech.

Cincinatti is probably in the BE and Navy is a strong possibility if the agreement with ND goes through. ND already plays Navy every year anyway. The other top candidate is UCF if the BE goes for 9 which they should. That would give them some insurance should anyone else leave.

Can't see CUSA splitting east and west. They will only have 7 or 8 football members left after Tulane folds, and Cincinatti and Louisville leave (and possibly Memphis or USF). CUSA will add Rice and SMU. Or Houston and TCU will join the EWAC. (less likely unless the Bowl situation changes)

I don't think the MWC will expand. If they do, they will try to add BSU, but I think BSU will turn them down if TCU and Houston come on board.

I agree the PAC 10 won't expand.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby EmeraldCityPony » Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:54 pm

Okay, SMUstang, what you just said makes no sense to me. Maybe you can tell me why Mizzou would leave a prestigious Big XII chock full of traditional and natural rivals, and why Arkansas would leave the SEC, the most lucrative conference in the nation?
It's a crappy job but someone's gotta do it.
EmeraldCityPony
All-American

Return to Football