PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What Team Scares You the Most?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What Team Scares You the Most?

Postby MustangKurt20 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:30 pm

Of the teams we have for the upcoming season, which one do you think will give us the most problems? I'd have to go w/ Okie State. They finished the year incredibly strong and drilled us at their place. They should be a good early season evaluator of where we are in relation to last year.

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Re: What Team Scares You the Most?

Postby SMUstang » Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:35 am

I'm afraid Tech will drill us in Lubbock.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:03 am

Tech in Lubbock is going to be a load, but I think Okie St will be formidable.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:28 am

Until we can prove our sustainable "competitiveness", every game on the schedule "scares me". We should NEVER take anybody lightly, nobody, never...truth be known, however, what really "scares me", is that SMU will soon have a Tulane-like news conference....
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:31 am

Oh, woe is me. Get off the tulane thing, Mr. Doom.
Bergermeister

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:09 pm

The truth is, getting blown out at TTech to open the year should scare us. Did anyone expect to get blown out by Navy last year? I don't get to Big D as aften as I'd like, but was determined to witness Coach Bennett's 1st game and was tremendously disappointed by that train wreck.

We should fear a road loss at "lowly" Baylor, and should fear the home schedule that includes Okie St, Fresno, Boise & TCU. In fact, going into this season and based on last season's performance, I would have to say that UTEP and Rice are the only home games we have any reason to believe we will at least be competitive.

I'm as anxious as anyone to see real progress in our football program, and I certainly believe Bennett might be the guy who finally gets it done, but this year, as last year, and the year before that, and that, and that, etc...I have every reason to fear MOST games on our schedule. My biggest fear...is always our next game...so right now that means TTech.

[This message has been edited by Charleston Pony (edited 06-08-2003).]
Charleston Pony

Postby wilthestilt » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
<B>The truth is, getting blown out at TTech to open the year should scare us. Did anyone expect to hget blown out by Navy last year? I don't get to Big D as aften as I'd like, but was determined to witness Coach Bennett's 1st game and was tremendously by that train wreck.

We should fear a road loss at "lowly" Baylor, and should fear the home schedule that includes Okie St, Fresno, Boise & TCU. In fact, going into this season and based on last season's performance, I would have to say that UTEP and Rice are the only home games we can know we will at least be competitive.

I'm as anxious as anyone to see real progress in our football program, and I certainly believe Bennett might be the guy who finally gets it done, but this year, as last year, and the year before that, and that, and that, etc...I have every reason to fear MOST games on our schedule. My biggest fear...is always our next game...so right now that means TTech.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ain't woofen. It took Ron Meyer two to three years to start turning his program around, and that was with more talent than Bennet has to work with. The light at the end of the tunnel is just another train coming at this point.

------------------
wilthestilt

Postby Stallion » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:07 pm

Correct, IF Bennett turns this around about 3 years from now it will be because of quality recruiting just like Ron Meyer did. Great players make coaches look like geniuses. We have one solid recruiting season to build a foundation with-its a long road back to respectability.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Buddha » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:11 pm

Oklahoma State should be even better this year than it was last year. And we all remember how that turned out.
Buddha
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:48 am

"Fear makes us feel our humanity." - Disraeli

I do not 'fear' anyone on our schedule. I respect each team for its talents and abilities. But I also have 'faith' that my Mustangs will persevere and prove victorious in each contest, no matter what the odds.

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." II Timothy. IV. 7

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 06-09-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby methodistmustang » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:56 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B>"Fear makes us feel our humanity." - Disraeli

I do not 'fear' anyone on our schedule. I respect each team for its talents and abilities. But I also have 'faith' that my Mustangs will persevere and prove victorious in each contest, no matter what the odds.

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." II Timothy. IV. 7

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen MrMustang
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Postby untgrad88 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HixsontoLeVias:
<B>Until we can prove our sustainable "competitiveness", every game on the schedule "scares me". We should NEVER take anybody lightly, nobody, never...truth be known, however, what really "scares me", is that SMU will soon have a Tulane-like news conference....</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is no doom and gloom outlook--this is something that we should all legitimately fear and work against. When Tulane makes their announcement today to drop IA football, it is going to energize the anti-football constituencies all over the country in the so called midmajor programs. Every program in the deep red is going to be scrutinized-I assure you. Mark my words, Houston will be next, and then who knows.

That is why it is essential for the midmajors to regionalize their conferences to build attendance and revenues and dramatically cut costs. Yesterday would not be too soon.
untgrad88
Recruit

Return to Football