PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How is N.C. State's defense?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How is N.C. State's defense?

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed Sep 13, 2000 12:49 pm

How good is N.C. State's defense. I have noticed in both of their games, they have given up a good amount of points. We will be be able to score a bunch of points. I know very little about this teams defense..>Any input would help....exspecially from those of you who know N.C. State
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: How is N.C. State's defense?

Postby Pack Traveler » Wed Sep 13, 2000 2:43 pm

Our defense has been a bit of a disappointment to date; however, they have been able to come up with the big stop when we had to have it. Against Arkansas St. we stopped them three times inside the two yard line in the last three minutes to set up the drive that lead to OT, and against Indiana we had a huge three and out with just over two minutes to go that set up the winning drive.

Our defense was expected to be our strong suit going into the season. We returned 8 starters from last year plus a LB who started the previous year, but missed last year with a knee injury. To this point they have given many more yards and points than anticipated. They are capable of playing much better as their tackling has been terrible. Our linebacking corps has been rated one of the best in the country. The DL has not done the job clogging up the middle, so our defense against the run has been lacking. The secondary has been rebuilt this year as we lost both CB's from last year to the NFL. One corner this year is a converted FS and the other is a redshirt freshman. The converted FS, Brian Williams, and our SS, Adrian Wilson, both bring a load when they hit you.

If our defense wakes up and remembers to wrap the guy up when they hit him, SMU could be in for a long night. If they continue to play as they have the first two games, then anything could happen, and our scoreboard may not have enough lights to handle it. I guess that is the reason the game is played on the field and not on paper. See ya Saturday.
Pack Traveler

Postby THE ROCK » Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:03 pm

THE ROCK SAYS...

Good points. I remember from watching the Texas game that is seemed like N.C. State had a pretty good defense. And if you returned 8 from that bunch, I imagine you have the the oppurtunity to be pretty good.

Our offense can be really dangerous. This is very unusual for an SMU offense. THe last couple of years, we have had a terrible offense but a hell of a defense. It seems things change. We are still very young, in fact, off of this team, I think there are only 3 seniors that start.
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN'?
THE ROCK
Scout Team

Postby PackAttack » Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:16 pm

You might have to look down the <A HREF="http://www.ncaa.org/stats/new%20football/national%20rankings/IA_teamtotdef.html" TARGET=_blank>page</A> a little . . .
PackAttack

Postby ALL4SMU » Thu Sep 14, 2000 11:16 am

WOW, they are giving up an average of 403 yards per game against the Arkansas State and Indiana.

It did not break it up into yards passing and yards receiving, so I don't know which they are weaker against. Perhaps one of the Wolpack people on the site can chime in with regards to that.

I would really like to see Josh light it up this week. I think Comet is due for a really big game. That is not to say he has not played well, but I think he is do for an incredible game.

Time will tell.

Go Ponies!
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Return to Football