PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is there reason to give up?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is there reason to give up?

Postby PonyTales » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:54 am

JustAFriend, you're killing me here. I like your posts and all, but how could you say this?:

"I like that all of the media hypes up Luke McCown like he is something, but Richard made him look stupid last year."

How many times did Bartel defend McCown? Zero. If he wasn't defending him, he certainly didn't make him "look stupid." If in fact McCown "looked stupid" that day, the credit should go to the SMU defense and defensive coaches. I don't personally think he looked stupid at all -- just had a bad day -- but everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

And before you go etching your buddy's name on the Heisman Trophy, remember that he had exactly one game (LaTech) in which he was really good. He was good, but certainly not sensational, in the rest of his starts -- and they were against some pretty weak defenses.

Don't get me wrong .... Bartel showed THE POTENTIAL last year to be a tremendous QB. But he is not there yet. I'm as avid an SMU fan as anyone alive, and I hope your buddy proves you right by re-writing the SMU passing record books. But to say that one game allows Bartel to make the nation's leading returning passer (who has been called a better pro prospect than his brother Josh - he of the NFL's Cardinals) look stupid is shortsighted and based on loyalty and friendship, rather than anything that's been done on the field. McCown should be the best quarterback in the WAC this year, and is among the best in the nation. What would he do if he had receivers like they have at USC, Florida State, Miami, etc.?

Remain faithful to Bartel as your friend. We're all loyal to him as our QB. But let's not get carried away .... just yet.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:06 pm

IMHO,

I was one of the loudest voices to state that Bartel was young and hadn't proved enough, was too immature, etc. I also think Bennett was correct in letting Bartel sit much of last year. He has the potential, but many, many bad decisions were made on the practice field last year.

But in the starts Bartel made last season, he looked good with some flashes of brilliance. And in the offseason, Bartel seems to have grown in stature much more than the 1? reflected on the roster. With a healthy Chris Cunningham, the addition of Rushbrook, general improvement in the other receivers, more experience in the system, etc., this may be the year that Richard Bartel comes into his own.

As a sophomore he?s still going to be young and perhaps a raw, but JustAFriend may have the last laugh this coming season. Having seen Bartel in practice, I?m certainly not betting against him. The only concern I have on offense is how the O-Line will come together.

I think the main reason not to give up is the Commitment in general. Facilities, new coaching staff (not just PB, but also the terrific staff he's assembled), and most importantly the caliber of recruits who are attracted because of what they see from the Commitment. It's a completely different attitude.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:16 pm

Alright here we go:

To me, when a freshman QB starts and plays his first game of his collegiate career against a highly touted QB like old Luke, and simply blows him off the field, where does that not make him look stupid. I never said anything about a Heisman, I said Richard outplayed McCown. I could give a flyin flip about Luke, and I dont think he's the best in the WAC. Give Richard a full season without all the roller coaster events of last year and you will be pleasantly surprised. And as far as NFL prospects: How about the fact that a high profile NFL receiver told Richard to his face that he is better than any QB on that receivers NFL roster, including the first pick in the draft from none other than USC? Now if you ask me, this guy is your ticket to hold on to hope because until now, its been a long time since ya'll had a QB that had the ability and charisma to take this team out of the gutter. Everyone is entitled to your own opinion, but Peruna was right Richard was good last year with flashes of brilliance, and I can promise you he is way beyond where he was last year, in confidence and knowledge of the system. He will pick apart defenses this year even if he has to do it on the move. Good luck this season...
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Football