PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is there reason to give up?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Is there reason to give up?

Postby methodistmustang » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:55 am

I am a continuing student at SMU. I don't know one student other than myself that actually believes we will ever have a good football team again...that's pretty sad. There are quite a few people on this site that think we will. I'm losing hope. Can someone give me a reason to believe that we will have one winning season while I am enrolled? I graduate in 2006. It breaks my heart seeing the lack of support for the football team by the students.

------------------
SMU-THE University of Texas
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Re: Is there reason to give up?

Postby PK » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:02 am

Coach Bennett.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:06 am

PK nailed it - Coach Bennett is too good to give up on. He admitted last year when he made mistakes, and he's such a hard worker and a maniac about both learning from his mistakes and details that he can't help but improve. We might have another sub-.500 year, but not by much, and more importantly, with the talent he's brought in, he's laid the foundation for vast improvement in the near future.

Keep the faith!
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:02 pm

I'll give you the only reason I believe you will: Richard Bartel. I've taken alot of criticism for my statements in the past, but I can assure you that this guy will not allow this team to keep losing. He can't handle losing. Trust me I know....
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:29 pm

So that's been the problem since 1989. We didn't have a player who wouldn't allow the team to lose, because he couldn't handle it. What were coaches Gregg, Rossley and Cavan thinking? All they had to do was recruit players who didn't like losing, and we'd be battling for a BCS bowl bid every year as a member of a power conference.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Ksig_Stang » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:51 pm

I'm a student, going to be junior, and I still think they'll turn it around. I'm hoping we "bowl" in the 2004 season so I can go to a bowl game my senior year.

I've attended every home football game (and 4 away games) since I started in 2001. I think it will rise again- I expect to see some big improvements this year.
Ksig_Stang

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:27 pm

You are right completely, what was I thinking? Actually maybe I was thinking that Bartel, not Bennett, was the one who provided any hope last year. Seriously ya'll might have won one game without him last year. Anyways, keep on with the sarcasm, I remember all these comments last year and the tune changed a little after the La Tech game. Anyways your hope lies with him....
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:55 pm

MethodistMustang: you're a soon-to-be Methodist minister. Keep the faith, fellow Mustang. What does the Good Book say about how to handle the nay-sayers? Image

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:18 pm

Just a Friend,

I was at that LA Tech game. When Bartel hit Cody Cardwell in perfect stride for that 85 yard touchdown pass, I knew we had a QB. I only wished he had played more last year.

With improvement and the right supporting cast (all these new Bennett recruits), Bartel can lead us to a championship. Maybe not this year, but soon.
SoCal_Pony

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:39 pm

I like that all of the media hypes up Luke McCown like he is something, but Richard made him look stupid last year. Imagine what this year will be like, with Richard knowing the system so much better. It will be fun to watch.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby True Colors » Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:03 pm

SMU will need to start pouring some serious money into the program to see any results onto the field.

It would also help if SMU had some sort of angle to sell recruits and fans on. As terrible as this sounds, why should people pay attention to the program at this point?

What needs to happen is some nationally ranked teams need to come to Dallas and get beat. Something that will attract television coverage and put SMU back on the map.

To really spark some interest, SMU is going to have to finish in the top 25 again at some point, and also win some good bowl games.

TC

[This message has been edited by True Colors (edited 06-14-2003).]
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:21 am

"What needs to happen is some nationally ranked teams need to come to Dallas and get beat. Something that will attract television coverage and put SMU back on the map."

Got anybody in mind?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 06-15-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby True Colors » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:18 am

TCU would be a good start. Texas Tech would have been another one. Arkansas has been in and out of the rankings over the years, and they have demonstrated a willingness to maintain a home and home series with the Ponies.
Obviously I am talking long term here. I do not expect SMU to start beating ranked teams in the next year or two, nor do I expect most top 25 teams to accept invitations to come to Ford Stadium in the very near future. Most of the really strong programs will not travel to play out of conference games.

The bottom line here is that if you want to attract national attention to the program then it means beating nationally visible opponents. TCU is a good example of this. They have won a fair number of games over the last several years, but nobody cares because most of those are against the likes of UAB, Army, Tulane, UTEP, North Texas State, etc.

TC
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:49 am

WTH! Let's invite Notre Dame! That would put BIS in Ford! Image

------------------
MrMustang1965

Postby OldPony » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:37 am

I sure hope Bartel is as good as you guys think. I , though, didn't see much against any decent competition. You are placing a lot of the burden on a guy who still hasn't had a start against a quality opponent. The oline better be much improved to even see IF he is a quality Qback. Agins, I hope you are right.
OldPony
Heisman

Next

Return to Football