PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Maybe WE should threaten to shut down..

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Maybe WE should threaten to shut down..

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:13 pm

..it could spur season tickets sales / Mustang Club giving / a 27-0 vote by the trustees, etc., etc....
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Re: Maybe WE should threaten to shut down..

Postby untgrad88 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HixsontoLeVias:
<B>..it could spur season tickets sales / Mustang Club giving / a 27-0 vote by the trustees, etc., etc....</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am beginning to wonder if this was a ploy to get their folks interested again...it worked!
untgrad88
Recruit

Postby EastStang » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:23 pm

Many years ago, the Washington Capitals threatened to move or disband if season ticket sales didn't pick up. They did and remarkably the team went from awful to good, until they traded away Scott Stevens. Those types of campaigns work in the short term, but there can be long term prices with them in terms of credibility.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Red+BlueDude » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:27 pm

That still ranks as the worst trade in team history. They got five first-round picks for Stevens (actually, that was NHL-mandated compensation, not an actual trade, I think) and got little to no value out of the picks. I'm still bitter.
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Postby Nacho » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:30 pm

You can only use that type of threat once. After that it won't fly. Tulane and SMU are on similar courses--they must do all the right things to not only win but attract and keep fans, ie win and play teams that draw fans.

I would love to be in a conference with them. It's a great trip and one that you can get to easily. It would be great to be in with Tulane, Houston, Rice, TCU, and Souther Miss. Easy road trips and fun games.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:54 pm

Yea...we could call it The Budget Deficit Conference or BDC..
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Return to Football