PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Terry Bowden on Jim Rome

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:49 pm

EastStang wrote:Who wants to offer him their daughter?

There is still one Bush twin available... :wink:
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mexmustang » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:37 pm

Thank God! I thought it was going to take my first born.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Mexmustang wrote:Thank God! I thought it was going to take my first born.

I figure you have given that and more already. Hopefully someday you will see the fruits of your gifts.

(That is not a gay thing. Not that there is anything wrong with that.)
mrydel

Postby Ponymon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:55 pm

I heard that Ron Meyer was quite frisky with the cheerleaders when he was head coach so that is probably the starting spot.
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Terry Bowden on Jim Rome

Postby carolina stang » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:03 pm

Dwan wrote:He was amazing. Straight shooter who says he has the fire to get back into coaching. Said he spoke with [deleted] Vermill and [deleted] told him that after so many years in broadcasting, he will be a much better coach. Said for the first time he is putting is name out there and would be interested in anybody who would be interested in him. Feels that a coach needs to have a plan and get his players and University to buy into it. College football is not just Xs and Os, its about how to run a program and what is your plan to win at that school. The plan at Duke and the plan at South Carolina are night and day. If you don't see a change in a few years with a new staff, it is because they either dont have a plan or dont have the right plan for that school. He also said the following about college football.

NOTRE DAME - Does not think Charlie Wiess has a plan. He knew 3 years ago that Brady Quinn was going to graduate. Why did he have a guy back him up for 2 years and then bench him a half into his first game? How can you have a new DC and the defense takes a step back. He said there is a difference between being a good X and O coach and running a college program.

NEBRASKA - Does not think you can run a West Coast offense in the state of Nebraska. It requires you to recruit about 6 or 7 recivers, 4 or five RBs, and a few QBs. In the past, Nebraska was able to recuit a bunch of big, cornfed kids from nebraska and then go find a running back from Flordia or California. Just does not think they will be able to go out of state to get that much talent that it requires to run the west coast offense.

TEXAS - If the Arkansas State game did not wake them up, they have major focus problems and they do not have the desire to win a title right now.

UCLA - have to put that on the coach. Sometimes players will have a bad game, but your job as a coach is to make sure they are showered, dressed and ready to play. That way you can play through a bad game because every team has bad games. Likened that game to having 2 extra points blocked in the fourth quarter. That team was not ready to play.

BIG TEN - They need to look at the landscape of college football. 21st Century Football is the spread. Having running backs who can catch, recievers who can run, and QBs who can run. The whole conference is playing in the stone age.

Regardless if you agree with him, it was great to hear somebody speak their mind!

I really believe this guy is going to get some serious interest from many schools at the end of the season. The national publicity would be huge for SMU. Orsini could quietly wrap him up or someone of his calibre with a big deal before he receives more offers. And it would take a sizeable deal.

I just like the idea of an energized coach that has had success in the past. He does follow the "baggage" profile of the Price/OLeary's of the world and last time I checked that's worked out pretty well.
carolina stang
Varsity

Re: Terry Bowden on Jim Rome

Postby smupony94 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:04 pm

carolina stang wrote:
Dwan wrote:He was amazing. Straight shooter who says he has the fire to get back into coaching. Said he spoke with [deleted] Vermill and [deleted] told him that after so many years in broadcasting, he will be a much better coach. Said for the first time he is putting is name out there and would be interested in anybody who would be interested in him. Feels that a coach needs to have a plan and get his players and University to buy into it. College football is not just Xs and Os, its about how to run a program and what is your plan to win at that school. The plan at Duke and the plan at South Carolina are night and day. If you don't see a change in a few years with a new staff, it is because they either dont have a plan or dont have the right plan for that school. He also said the following about college football.

NOTRE DAME - Does not think Charlie Wiess has a plan. He knew 3 years ago that Brady Quinn was going to graduate. Why did he have a guy back him up for 2 years and then bench him a half into his first game? How can you have a new DC and the defense takes a step back. He said there is a difference between being a good X and O coach and running a college program.

NEBRASKA - Does not think you can run a West Coast offense in the state of Nebraska. It requires you to recruit about 6 or 7 recivers, 4 or five RBs, and a few QBs. In the past, Nebraska was able to recuit a bunch of big, cornfed kids from nebraska and then go find a running back from Flordia or California. Just does not think they will be able to go out of state to get that much talent that it requires to run the west coast offense.

TEXAS - If the Arkansas State game did not wake them up, they have major focus problems and they do not have the desire to win a title right now.

UCLA - have to put that on the coach. Sometimes players will have a bad game, but your job as a coach is to make sure they are showered, dressed and ready to play. That way you can play through a bad game because every team has bad games. Likened that game to having 2 extra points blocked in the fourth quarter. That team was not ready to play.

BIG TEN - They need to look at the landscape of college football. 21st Century Football is the spread. Having running backs who can catch, recievers who can run, and QBs who can run. The whole conference is playing in the stone age.

Regardless if you agree with him, it was great to hear somebody speak their mind!

I really believe this guy is going to get some serious interest from many schools at the end of the season. The national publicity would be huge for SMU. Orsini could quietly wrap him up or someone of his calibre with a big deal before he receives more offers. And it would take a sizeable deal.

I just like the idea of an energized coach that has had success in the past. He does follow the "baggage" profile of the Price/OLeary's of the world and last time I checked that's worked out pretty well.

Send money to the Mustang Club
smupony94

Postby ponygrad90 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:21 pm

where do you earmark that it is or hiring Terry Bowden?

and

If they hire him, i will bet anybody any amount he wins CUSA his first year

Yes Coaching is all that matters-

Just read Phil's comments from today

Understanding something and being able to transfer that knowledge to somebody else are obviously entirely two different things
ponygrad90
Varsity

Postby SWC2010 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:30 pm

Ponymon wrote:

I heard that Ron Meyer was quite frisky with the cheerleaders when he was head coach so that is probably the starting spot.

---

Hah! You didn't hear that, you know that.

Meyers entire coaching staff was in heat- you could find 'em at every skank bar on Greenville Ave in the 70's.
SWC2010
Heisman

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:33 pm

SWC2010 wrote:
Ponymon wrote:

---

Meyers entire coaching staff was in heat- you could find 'em at every skank bar on Greenville Ave in the 70's.

R.C. Slocum wasn't any better at A&M. Love the story when his wife interrupted practice one day and slapped him with divorce papers.
George S. Patton

Postby SWC2010 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:35 pm

George S. Patton wrote:
SWC2010 wrote:
Ponymon wrote:

---

R.C. Slocum wasn't any better at A&M. Love the story when his wife interrupted practice one day and slapped him with divorce papers.

Oh my God... Anyone having sex with R.C. deserves what they get...
SWC2010
Heisman

Postby smu2004 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:40 pm

first, Bowden is an awful recruiter which is why Auburn got worse every year he was there.

second, the only way SMU lands (assuming he has honed his recruiting skills) if they can Bennet in the middle of the year and hire before other more attractive positions are potetnially offered to him.

third, I actually know the guy personally and know a lot of people who know him very well and they say is a fairly shady character. Apple...Tree
smu2004
Varsity

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:44 pm

smu2004 wrote:first, Bowden is an awful recruiter which is why Auburn got worse every year he was there.

second, the only way SMU lands (assuming he has honed his recruiting skills) if they can Bennet in the middle of the year and hire before other more attractive positions are potetnially offered to him.

third, I actually know the guy personally and know a lot of people who know him very well and they say is a fairly shady character. Apple...Tree

I'm not on the Terry Bowden bandwagon exactly for that reason. Bobby Bowden aint the guy everybody says he is.
George S. Patton

Postby Dwan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:16 am

Same can be said about Mike Price. It's foolish to think we are going to get a coach who has accomplished what Bowden has on the field who does not have a skeleton in the closet. As far as him being a "bad recruiter" in what context is that? A bad recruiter in the SEC? A worse recruiter than Phil Bennett or Mike Cavan? Every high school player in America knows who he is and knows who his Dad is. That fact alone makes him a better recruiter than a guy like Bennett who "knows" every high school coach in Texas.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby carolina stang » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:33 am

It is crazy to think Bowden wouldn't be a significant upgrade over Bennett. There were many on this board that were "iffy" on the Doherty hire. "Well, the guy hasn't shown me much." I read a variation of that on this board several times.

The problem with Bowden is we likely couldn't afford him or he would go somewhere else. I'm not saying he is the best there is, but he fits the profile of "the high end coach" we could possibly get.

The publicity alone would be exciting. Another campaign? One that might not have gone down in flames after one game? And I couldn't agree more that the coaching couldn't be any worse than it is. And what recruit wouldn't have heard of him? Our recruiting is so "stellar" right now.
carolina stang
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:53 am

The only trouble with Bowden is that if he views this as a rehab assignment, he'll be gone as soon as he has a good year. On the other hand, it would be nice to have just one winning season.
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football