PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Neuheisel

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Neuheisel

Postby giacfsp » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:12 pm

How can there be any debate about Li'l Ricky? The man broke one of the most sacred of NCAA rules, and he did it more than once. Every college coach and athlete is counseled frequently about avoiding anything even remotely resembling gambling.

This kind of thing can be stopped. First, UW (either of its own action or if "convinced" by the NCAA) should fire him. The NCAA then should suspend him from coaching in college -- as a head coach or even an assistant -- for a few years. Once he's in the unemployment line for a while, maybe he'd realize what a stupid move he made. Not that he'd struggle to pay the rent -- I'm sure he'd end up as a TV analyst somewhere or perhaps as an NFL assistant -- but hopefully some other college coaches would take notice before they do anything that stupid.

I can't see why UW is dragging its feet on this, other than because of the lack of viable replacements. (Although Mike Price is available. I'm sure hiring him wouldn't raise any eyebrows....)
giacfsp
Heisman

Re: Neuheisel

Postby Buddha » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:27 pm

Amen - fire him and leave him fired for a while. Another coach of lesser stature might think twice before making the same mistake.

You'd have to think that if Neuheisel keeps his job, he'd be hard-pressed to tell his players not to lay bets. How could they take him seriously?
Buddha
All-American

Postby Big Sam » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:49 am

Take it from a K-State fan who had to put up with Whine-heisel for several years at CU - he is not only a self-righteous cheater (and a whiner), but he is also a lousy football coach.

CU tanked under his leadership. He won with his predecessor's players, and the kids he recruited, all everything according to services, didn't have the intestinal fortitude to develop their talents and win. Apparently team either wasn't a big deal, or got lost in the process along with S&C.

However, old sweater vest was always loved by the media. He gave tons of interviews and sucked up, playing the media game. Remember, with too many talking heads and reporters, a good quote or a coach always willing to give an interview is better than one who gets the job done (and this "friendly" coach will be treated with kid gloves as well).

Slick Rick never took responsibility for any losses. It was always the players, or his team was wronged. Thus, Ricky boy's attitude that I'm not responsible in this fiasco is not surprising.

Neuheisel was smug at CU, demeaned other programs, coaches and players, and got away with it. He seemed to be getting away with it at UW.

Yet, look at the record. Improper recruiting contacts (Rick's excuse "I didn't know the rules." - Uh, every coach knows those day one. Rick claimed he didn't even know them after years of head coaching).

Violating his contract again and again at UW.

Yet, he has always skated (for the most part - sanctions, if any, have gone easy on him).

Now, Neuheisel's tactics and excuses reflect poorly on the entire legal profession. As a lawyer, he is playing the laws for what they are worth in an effort to milk UW of as much money as he can. He probably will pull in a mint and find a job in a few years (or even worse, could end up working for ABC for a few years, then start coaching again - I don't want to listen to him at all, but he'll kiss some media butt and get the gig). In turn, everyone will blame the lawyer's mentality - though there are a ton of lawyers with much higher ethics than Ricky.

Ricky is a prime example of hubris at work. I hope he gets what is coming to him in the end, just like in every Greek tragedy.

Okay, sorry about the tirade. But, as you can tell, feelings about this guy run deep for a lot of us that had to deal with him all of the time because he was in our conference.

Take Care,
Sam S.
Big Sam

Postby Corso » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:30 am

No need for an apology, Sam - I agree with you! How he dodged additional punishment for the recruiting infractions at Colorado is unclear (you're right - coaches are taught those rules the day they become ASSISTANT coaches for the first time). Then he lies about it at UW. Then he swears to his employers that he didn't interview for the 49ers coaching job .... until he got caught lying. Now this.

What, exactly, has a Neuheisel-coached team won to merit this kind of lenient treatment? He should be canned. Today.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Southland » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:03 pm

Not a Neuheisel fan...

...but if the NCAA and its member institutions are going to come down on NCAA Tournament pools, probably most the athletes in the NCAA would be expelled. Just another case of college athletics and selective prosecution (unfortunately, we all know the most notable example).

As for Neuheisel, he'll probably end up with the Niners, under his mentor Terry Donahue, either as a QB coach or offensive coordinator.
Southland
Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:13 pm

Terry Donahue? I thought Dennis Erickson is coaching the Niners.

But you're right, Slick Rick Sweatervest will end up in SF one day.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:49 pm

Oh give me a break! It was a pool with his friends. The NCAA bylaw doesn't even cover it. The NCAA says the rule isn't vague, but the fact of the matter is, the rule IS vague. Of course Neuheisel knew he was walking a thin line, but it's not like he got caught with a hooker or hanging out at college parties.

And don't tell me that coaches don't do as much as they can do slip things past the NCAA. It's a very imperfect and ineffective form of oversight. No wonder coaches are so eager to bolt to the NFL.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Southland » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:55 pm

Terry Donahue is the GM, has been for several years now.
Southland
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:10 pm

UNFMustang06: put the pipe down. Image

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big Sam » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:25 pm

RN's record of recruiting infractions is well known (and probably only scratches the surface). For some coaches, there is pride in following the rules to develop a program. For RN, things came to fast and easy (he didn't put in the years as an assistant most HC's do), and as a result he felt he could get away with anything.

The rule in regard to gambling on NCAA sports is pretty clear and has been pushed heavily by the NCAA for at least the last 5 years. As a coach, RN is expected to set an example and a tone for his program. The tone he has set at CU and UW hasn't been one I would want any program to emulate.

Later,
Sam S.
Big Sam

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:25 pm

The rule is not clear in any way regarding private pools. I don't see how you can argue it is. Sure, the NCAA has been cracking down on gambling the past few years, and I know he knew better..which is why I said RN had been walking a fine line... but hey according to RN, the school said it was "ok" Image

I just don't agree with his punishment... i.e. termination. Coaches, legends, got away with so much more.. everyone is just so image sensitive these days. Why fire a perfectly good, winning football coach? RN's infractions never reached the level to get UW or even CU fined or punished, so why the dismissal? Was UW afraid this would drag out thru the summer and they might have to can him dring summer workouts, etc. ?

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 06-11-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:30 pm

According to a story on sportingnews.com:

"The gambling rule is not vague," said Bill Saum, the NCAA's director of agents, gambling and amateur activities.

Saum wouldn't discuss Neuheisel or Washington directly, citing NCAA policy. However, the NCAA opened an investigation last week after Neuheisel admitted betting on the last two NCAA basketball tournaments.

"It is clear and direct against participation in pools and it has been clearly interpreted that way over the years," Saum said.

NCAA bylaw 10.3 prohibits athletic department staff members and student-athletes from gambling.

Most of the rule's subsections focus on placing or taking bets involving an athlete's or coach's own team. Those covered by the rule also are barred from providing information to people involved in organized gambling.

The subsection that addresses the Washington situation bans coaches, staff or athletes from participating "in any gambling activity that involves intercollegiate athletics or professional athletics, through a bookmaker, a parlay card or any other method employed by organized gambling."

------------------------------------------------

The link for the whole story, in which Neuheisel claims "I am still the coach" can be found at:
<A HREF="http://www.sportingnews.com/cfootball/articles/20030611/477870.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sportingnews.com/cfootball/articles/20030611/477870.html</A>
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:12 am

He's not claiming he's "still the coach" anymore. Officially canned yesterday - press conference today.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:37 pm

Fuuny thread from OU board:

<A HREF="http://soonerfans.elite-sports.com/soonerfans/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9173" TARGET=_blank>http://soonerfans.elite-sports.com/soonerfans/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9173</A>
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football